Thread: Holidays and our kiddos...m

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Holidays and our kiddos...m

Just wishing the best for everyone whose child(ren) has a big holiday break coming up. The first week is okay but than the lack of structure starts to affect some. Plus, a lot of therapists do not hold sessions right around Christmas and New Years.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Yes, OMG, almost THREE WEEKS OFF here. I have no idea how I am going to handle it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping that some family steps up to the plate to help.....

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Thanks, and wishing you the best as well

I think maybe I am pms'ing because I am so not looking forward to the holidays.

For me, the biggest stress of the holiday is family gatherings. All the typical children playing: my DS bouncing off the wall fighting with every child in sight. Every adult there judging me, the "bad mom." DH calling me, in front of his family, some horrible names I don't dare repeat. Because that is all we ever do, DH and I, is fight about one thing. DS.

Oh, and will DH's sister bring medication for DS and give it to him without my knowledge? That's a fun one to add to the mix -watching like a hawk because his sister thinks it is her right to medicate my child when she sees fit behind my back. And DH said she was "just trying to help." Though DH and his sister are certain DS doesn't have ADHD, but the minute *they* actually have to deal with him they medicate him behind my back. Gotta love it!

Last year when I tried to get together with my family I came home and cried because they kept threatening to hit DS. And the worse they got in his face, grabbed at him, threatened to hit him, actually put him in timeouts when I went to get food, the worse his behavior was. It was a nighmarish 2 events. Both of which DH wouldn't come with me to. Because then HE'D have to chase DS around and watch him and do the "walk of shame" while everyone there with typical kids had a grand old time.

I really dread the holidays. It's the same story every single event and I am so tired of going through the motions and pretending. Though I have to, because I have an older DS that ENJOYS seeing the family and who acts appropriately. He doesn't deserve to lose holidays.

Wow, this turned into a vent. I really am a scrooge this year. Yikes! Thanks for letting me get it off my chest...

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hi Scrooge,
    I actually smiled a bit when I read you post because I swear I have written the same kind of thing to my close friend recently. Nobody tries to time out or hit my girl at our family get togethers but the holidays are so stressful for many reasons including well meaning family members who call her "spoiled" or that we need to give her less freedom, etc and trying to blame it on me the mom. I am not really looking forward to the holidays this year. I am pretending to though. argh.
    I totally remember the sister in law fiasco and I am still amazed. I hope she apologized and backed off a bit after that event!
    You have one "typical" kid so they should know that you know how to parent! They should KNOW that some kids are just way more "challenging" than others.
    Sending you hugs.
    I'll be glad when we are through this holiday!!

Angi

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

that is why I posted.