Thread: Ds was diagnosed with ADHD and social anxiety (m)

Default Ds was diagnosed with ADHD and social anxiety (m)

Miles is 4.5 and we just got through an eval with a child psychologist. He has been diagnosed with ADHD- primarily hyperactive-impulsivity type. It is very obvious to most that he has it, but I have been pretty reluctant to pursue anything for him, but as he is getting older, it is just getting worse. So far, preschool has been fine, but it is also a co-op and is completely unstructured so he does not have to focus on anything. We are switching preschools for next year. The psych also recommended full-day kindergarten when he goes because she said there are less transitions and more time between the transitions. Anyone else heard this? Miles will be an "old" kindergarten as he has a November birthday, but just curious if other people with ADHD kids have heard this recommendation.

We are not discussing medication at this point, and will not until he is in school and if it affects his learning. I have always been very reluctant to believe the ADHD diagnosis for boys as it seems to be overdiagnosed, but I truly believe Miles has it. We also have a history...all 3 of my stepkids have ADD, although not ADHD.

She also agrees he has some form of social anxiety and recommended a social skills class to help teach him how to engage and initiate play with other children his age. I am anxious to see how that works. It is one hour per week.

Does all this sound right to you? Any advice/info? Books to read? This is all new and I will take anything i can get!

Adria
    Miles 11.19.01

Christine S Guest

Default Hey Adria.....

Tobin has ADHD and SID. Amelia has ADD and SID. Both are doing Cranio Sacral therapy as well as music therapy. We did end up putting Ame on meds for several reasons....one being the severe anxiety she was experiencing. Her self esteem was also dropping fast and we wanted to get her back on track before she hit those pre-teen years. She has done very well with the therapy and meds.

Tobin is doing therapy only with the occasional dose of caffeine when he goes into super speed mode. Now we had a pretty severe case of sensory issues with him as well, but it's ALL starting to ease up now. Between the therapy and all the work we've done at home, we are making great progress.

Our OT asked me last week what I thought made the most difference and I honestly think it was ALL key in helping him. I don't think there is any ONE thing you can do, but rather explore the possibilities and see what works and what doesn't. It took us a while to find the right combo for him and we're still working on it.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

C

JennyH Guest

Default Hi Adria..

Quote Originally Posted by adria1
    Miles is 4.5 and we just got through an eval with a child psychologist. He has been diagnosed with ADHD- primarily hyperactive-impulsivity type. It is very obvious to most that he has it, but I have been pretty reluctant to pursue anything for him, but as he is getting older, it is just getting worse. So far, preschool has been fine, but it is also a co-op and is completely unstructured so he does not have to focus on anything. We are switching preschools for next year. The psych also recommended full-day kindergarten when he goes because she said there are less transitions and more time between the transitions. Anyone else heard this? Miles will be an "old" kindergarten as he has a November birthday, but just curious if other people with ADHD kids have heard this recommendation.

We are not discussing medication at this point, and will not until he is in school and if it affects his learning. I have always been very reluctant to believe the ADHD diagnosis for boys as it seems to be overdiagnosed, but I truly believe Miles has it. We also have a history...all 3 of my stepkids have ADD, although not ADHD.

She also agrees he has some form of social anxiety and recommended a social skills class to help teach him how to engage and initiate play with other children his age. I am anxious to see how that works. It is one hour per week.

Does all this sound right to you? Any advice/info? Books to read? This is all new and I will take anything i can get!

Adria
    Miles 11.19.01
    My 5.75 year old DS hasn't been dx'ed yet(our appt is next month)..he does exhibit some of the signs of ADHD and anxiety. I'm trying the alternative route to see if we can help him without going to meds. He's been on these supplements for about 3 weeks now and honestly, he's doing great! It's almost night and day and he's had only one day at school where he was in yellow - Green every day which is amazing! Time will tell if this is the answer but it certainly cannot hurt to try as these are all safe. We will also be doing social therapy in the near future.

Copied from under Fish oil dosage header

We've been doing the Omega 3 with High EPA to DHA ratio(for about 3 weeks now) which is supposed to be best for ADHD. I'm giving my DS (2) Capsules of Omega Mood which is about 1000mg of EPA and low DHA - he's probably getting less because I squeeze it out of the capsules. They have liquids available but they are much more expensive.
    http://www.papanature.com/store/Pro...s&pid=CLF-04120

We've also started the magnesium - Floradix liquid. He takes about 1/2 dosage of this.
    http://www.papanature.com/store/Pro...s&pid=FLO-14783

Some good info on these products for ADHD:
    http://www.adhdnews.com/forum/forum...?TID=17175&PN=1
    www.fattyacidtrip.com

Papanature.com seems to have the best prices around - to offset the shipping I'll be buying several bottles.

HTH and good luck!
    Jenny

Default Dd was formally diagnosed at age 7....

we knew all along b/c it runs in dh's family. Dd was in Montessori preschool, K and Elementary at the time. She functioned very well with their structure. Transitions are hard.

I understand your reluctance with meds. We were reluctant as well, but had no choice once it effected her school function.

Glad you have the diagnosis. Our ds is also ADD/ADHD and believe it or not the dev. ped. actually suggested meds. at only 3.5 years. We are postponing under K.

HUGS,
    Charlotte
    Morgan (10) ASD\ADHD

AnnieA1998 Guest

Default Have you ever looked at the Amen Clinic site?

Daniel Amen wrote a book called "Change your Brain, Change your Life"
    His website is here: http://www.amenclinic.com/ac/

Bekah sees one of the docs there who is working with us on her meds - she has severe and chronic PTSD... and is on an anti-anxiety med.

Anyway -- Dr. Amen has done something like - over 20,000 spect scans of the brain and has identified 6 different and distinct types of ADD --

Nancy