Thread: 4 days into new med dose

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default 4 days into new med dose

This was first full day back to school. He did really well until we got home at 5:20 and dinner wasn't on the table. My dd has ballet until 5. He had his usual snack at 4 pm but... Once he ate he was better.

The problem is the past 2 nights he is waking up earlier than he should. This morning it was 6:06 am. He normally sleeps until about 7. He goes to bed around 7:30 and he is out as soon as his head hits the pillow.

what I have to check is whether he is sleeping soundly or is it fitful. We had that problem when he took tenex - the short acting version. It messed his sleep up so badly we couldn't use it.

So I'm not sure what the solution is if he is sleeping soundly but waking up early. I'm guessing its different than if he is sleeping restlessly and waking up early. Need to figure it out so I can talk to the doctor.

It could also just be he needs more time to adjust to taking the higher dose. I'm not going to make any changes right now and just observe.
    k

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Sleeping

Hi Karen,

I just this week looked up sleep charts because R is getting up at 6:00 these days, which is unbearably early. Part of it, is that DH leaves for work so early and R cries when he doesn't get to see daddy in the morning, so he jumps out of bed as soon as his little eyes open. The other part, though, is I think I have to adjust bedtime because as they get older, they need less sleep. Check out the sleep charts online, it sounds like he falls where he is suppose to.

R's bedtime is at 7:00 and his little eyes are closed by 7:15 because he is so exhausted. I'm trying to push it back til 7:30, but when I do that, then he is up closer to 5:30 and not 6:30. I've always found the whole Weissbluth thing to be true, the later I put mine to bed (as babies and toddlers) the earlier they were up. So now I am trying to readjust bedtime and he is so overtired that he can't sleep well. I'm sure eventually it will settle down.

Just wanted to say you aren't alone and the sleep thing may be related to the new meds, or maybe just his age and need for less sleep.

Good luck, I hope things settle in with the new dose soon.

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I haven't found much of a pattern to moving bedtime around and wake up time. Wake up still seems earlier.

For your guy, maybe your dh could give him a hug and a kiss as soon as he wakes up before dressing and showering etc. This way its early enough that he might fall back to sleep. I find if they wake up around 6 they can't go back to sleep no matter how tired they are. But if its around 5 when they wake to pee they can go back to sleep.

Unfortuantely he needs the sleep, at least 11 hours a day for him which might be a little high for most kids his age but...
    karen

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Glad Jacob is doing well in school. Hope he stops his early morning waking.