Thread: Need ideas for snacks w/out artificial colors/flavors etc. (m)

Default Need ideas for snacks w/out artificial colors/flavors etc. (m)

With ds' ADHD diagnosis, I want to try to have him eat much healthier including limiting or excluding artificial colors/flavors. He didnt eat a ton before, but I would like to eliminate them if I can. I am at a loss for some good snacks....he is a serious eater (as in all day long). So far he has had (and liked): carrots w/ hummus, celery w/ pb, cream cheese, raisins, trail mix w/ nuts and dried fruit, natural fruit leather, and Kashi granola bars. I need some more easy to find stuff kids like. I am goign to make my own popsicles as well since he is a serious popsicle addict.

As a side note, I have read some stuff about Omega-3 foods for kids w/ adhd. Does anyone specifically give their child this? I just bought some organic brown eggs at costco that have 250mg of Omega 3 in each egg. HE ate 2 for breakfast this morning.

Anyway, I am looking for any helpful tips please!

Adria
    Miles 11.19.01 ADHD, general social anxiety
    Sawyer 11.26.02 Hirschsprung's, CCHS www.caringbridge.org/visit/sawyer

Marion1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default What about...

string cheese, saltines, fresh fruit, tortilla chips.

I often wonder about my DSs diet - he eats alot of artificial stuff but I find that he just tends to eat what is there so if I don't buy it he will eat something else.

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

we do lots of organic fruits/veggie and make our own fruit butters/sauces and fruit leather with a dehydrator.

our fave snack is TINGS by roberts gourmet, the makers of veggie and pirate booty. we often order the tings directly online. we do bean dip alot too (can of refried beans) with tings or fritos in a pinch.

mckevor doesnt handle red dye at all, so most of the stuff he gets day in/day out is free of artificial "crrap" and sugars. another fave of ours is chocolate soy nut butter on his crackers.

hugs

Default Where do you get the chocolate soy nut butter?

I had ds eating the soy butter, he used to like the one with honey. Now he adamately refuses. I'm looking for alternatives. Maybe I should just try peanut butter. We don't know that he's allergic, the allergist just told us to avoid it until age 5.

Charlotte

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

[URL=http://www.allergygrocery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1137&Categor y_Code=Jams

publix is good about ordering stuff for me and krogers now carry it (if yours doesnt, ask them to). then i also hit all the health food stores, kosher emporium and vegan supermarket (return to eden) every few months to stock up during sales.

hey that reminds me, return to eden is looking for a part time gluten free person...if interested let me and i'll send ya the email about it. hugs i'd do it but the drive would eat all the gas money i'd make. hugs

Default Nice thought about the part time work, but

it would only help me if I could telecommute. Thanks for the link.

C

Amytoo Guest

Default Natural snacks are just regular food

Once I figured that out "special diets" for my ASD kid and onery kid (who reacts to colors and other assorted things including dairy... is it dairy or do we need to look into Feingold and it is the preservatives in the dairy... but I digress) got a lot easier. Fruit is a great snack, fresh or dried (no sulfur... natural food aisle, Trader Joe's?) Dry cereal, pretzels. If your son needs to eat constantly you might want to boost his protein. I seem to be carb intollerent so if I eat too many I need to eat every 2 hrs. Sorry to say quick snaks in a box might be a problem. Keep bouncing ideas so the rest of us can figure out what to buy too.