Thread: Can I just vent a little about school?

mckenziecat is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Can I just vent a little about school?

I was in dd's class today (she's in 1st grade) when the gifted teacher came in and called out 4 kids to come for testing to get into the gifted program. She just called their names, didn't say what it was for but trust me every kid in that room knew. Those four kids went RUNNING like it was free ice cream. After they left, of course, there was a buzz of where are they going, oh it's gifted testing. The teacher made a statement of "everyone, you know people come and go for all sorts of reasons and we don't need to discuss it" but hello already they already know. Here's my beef. My dd goes to speech and ot and they want her to go to the resource room too. Now, let me tell ya, she and others like her aren't running because they are so excited to be going and yet I'm told over and over and over ad nauseam that kids just don't notice comings and goings and why. The hell they don't and my 1st grader thinks she's stupid. Well, duh, you don't have to be stupid to know that the school thinks you are. They make it abundantly clear. I am so tired of all the tracking and labeling and stratification made on these little young kids that will hang around their necks like a yoke for a long time to come. ARGHHHHH.
    Ok, sorry, I feel better now.
    Thanks,
    beth

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

i totally understand what u are saying. i agree.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Of course vent away.

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

i was that kid for years that was pulled out for speech. me being the crafty one as my mom called it came up with a great solution at the time. a treasure box of really cool awesome stuff that was left with my speech therapist. each week i got to pick a treat (box was only for me at the time supplied by my mom). and to work on friendship speech as it was called then for me, i would get to choose 2-3 classmates to go with me each week.

well you guessed it...they all started vying for the chance to go with me...i was the most popular "out of classer" to be with lol. not sure that strategy would work as well today but maybe it will give you some ideas. i too beleive kids put 2 and 2 together and the ones that are pulled out can begin to feel ashamed if handled incorrectly by therapists/teachers/parents/classmates. ps, i was in speech well into jr high when i began refusing to go b/c the class makeup assignments were too bothersome for me.

i still have issues when tired with speech due to poor oral tone/muscles but the cause was never identified. ok, there i have not outed myself big time on inciid..but it was for a good reason

Default It is a fine line to walk

and how is the best way to handle it. My DS has pullouts (ST, OT, sensory stations), plus he goes to a different class for reading and math (math with other students). His desk is different too and he is in 3rd grade and definately stresses about "being different". He needs the interventions and different classes but how do you minimize the downside?

There has to be some solution besides totally differentated classrooms, maybe it is the Montessori approach or some hybrid, whatever it is it isn't available in any public school in my district. I think Mickey2 Mom and school solution sounds like a great step in the right direction.

Sorry I don't have any answers but you certainly aren't alone and I'm curious to hear other peoples ideas and input.

Anne

I understand! It bugs me too. I swear sometimes I think that going to a SN school would be better for my ds's self-esteem, so he can feel "typical" instead of "different." It's amazing to me how the kids have already figured out who's in which stratum -- socially as well as academically. HUGS!

Lisa

mckenziecat is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Interesting you should mention

Quote Originally Posted by amarie1 View Post

There has to be some solution besides totally differentated classrooms, maybe it is the Montessori approach or some hybrid, whatever it is it isn't available in any public school in my district. I think Mickey2 Mom and school solution sounds like a great step in the right direction.

Anne
    I'm considering Montessori for both of my kids for next year. Very nervous about it though.

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I am so not surprised. What the teacher said is true but the kids know who the different teachers are. They should have been either more discreet in taking the kids out or done it one at a time.
    k