Thread: Here is another tidbit occuring at my oldest's school....

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Here is another tidbit occuring at my oldest's school....

Putting in place a math computer program before school hours and not informing parents. The program is supposed to help the students who have math goals on their IEP. Okay. But, before school hours M-W-F are when they implemented this because the students are in an inclusive classroom and the Resource teacher does not want to pull them from academic instruction

Alright, but my child loves to run and the school started some running clubs one int he fall which he participated in and one that started this week. All before school hours. Anyway, the club meets Tues, Wed. & Thur. Grant was told that he could not partipiate on Wednesdays due to the math program thing. Um, first my child wants to do this like his peers, 2nd we were not told anything about the program beforehand and 3rd why is this program needed if the inclusive classroom is working?

Anyway, after speakign with the Resource teacher this morning-she called. I suggested asking Grant if he could make up the 15 minutes today during the CRCT after school tutoring program. BTW, he has been in after school CRCT tutoring for Math since September 2x a week except for Mondays when he has had counseling or social skills classes neither which started till January.

I feel better now writing this all out.I was very calm on the phone with the Resource teacher - mostly listened. I did advocate for Grant when I told the Resource teacher that Grant wanted to run like his peers and that he went to bed upset and woke up upset. I even offered to confer with Grant's counselor

Again, why weren't we informed about this taking place and also why does the county need this program if the inclusive model was working for most of the students?

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

You did a great job! Grant's interests in running are so important to him, and glad you suggested the math program in the PM instead.

Good question about the math program.... seems kind of odd to use a math computer program to teach kids instead of human interaction. I think you have a lot to talk to your advocates about!

Are you in touch with any of the other parents? What are their thoughts on the school's services? What worked for them when advocating for their kids?

You're doing a great job, keep at it!!! HUGS! N

Thanks Nancy. The main thing is that my child was getting off the school bus at 7:05 and going to a classroom for a math computer program till 7:30 this is BEFORE school. Would no one else here would be concerned if this was their child? And that their child was already receiving extra math help 2x a week AFTER school? Again, no one told us about this before school math help and it has been happening for 2 weeks. The only reason we found out is it conflicted with a BEFORE school activity that would allow my son to be like his peers.

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

sounds like we have a similar situation, but my school has at least informed me that dd has to arrive 40 minutes early 3 ams a week for mandated extra help. Then I have her in Kumon 2 afternoons a week. Again, my choice and I very nicely informed myself of my decision, lol.

I wish you could up and move to a better school district! I really am sorry they are such a mess, and that your ds is caught up in the middle of it... I am happy he has a chance to run every am, somethign wonderful to encourage him to do!!! Hugs! N

The thing that still bothers is me is that last week the Reg.Ed teacher told me to not be concerned that my child had 4 Ds and that if he passes the CRCT he will go to 5th grade. But, if inclusion is working than why the need for math help on a computer before school and why the need to start CRCT tutoring in September??????? Inclusion is the only choice at this elementary school. They have no self contained and after 2nd grade they do not do Resource pull-out. But some children truly need it. All the experts-Dev.Pedi, Psychiatrist, Counselor all think he would benefit from a setting outside of a reg.classroom. However, they do small groups so the county argues against that suggestion.
    Again they are putting in place assistance for a child that has an IEP and not informing parents. Than they confront the child and tell him you cannot be like everyone else you MUST miss running on Wednesdays before school to do the math. That should have come through me not through Grant especially given his emotional state.

I have always done extra help for Grant since age 3-private Speech, private OT, private social skills classes, counseling, extra help at home.

Oh, he starts working with a private tutor at end of the month once CRCT tutoring is over.