Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How NOT to throw a birthday party.

MelanieOH is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default How NOT to throw a birthday party.

DS's whole K class was invited to a swim party. Seventeen kids showed up. There was no life guard. The parents didn't even stay to watch the kids in the pool. Two kids had to be rescued - thank heavens their mothers stayed.

I listened to the mother of one child ask the b-day mom all the right questions. Is there supervision? Who will be supervising? Will they ever be left alone? etc. The mom gave all the correct answers. This mother then left, and the b-day mom promptly walked away from the pool.

What is wrong with people?

Melanie

wow!! what kind of place rents out a pool & doesn't provide lifeguards? or allows it to be rented out w/o lifeguards??

I'd hesitate to leave my kid alone at a K party at a pool, and my son has been a strong swimmer for a long time, but lots of kids & no supervision always leads to trouble...
    ~jj

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Wow, I've *never* heard of a place doing this. I don't like pool parties for such young kids anyway, but that sounds negligent.

fatcat is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

oh dear! I know one hotel around here rents out the pool and you need to get the life guard on your own, but they'll refer you to the local Y and my neighbor said it was only $50 for a lifeguard.

We went to a Y pool party yesterday and they only rent it out with the lifeguards. Most moms stayed anyway. My big complaint was NOT enough cake!

JulieATL is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I had a pool party at my n'hood pool last year.....m

and we have no lifeguard. I didn't have to rent it out, they don't close it off or anything. I just specified on the invite very clearly that there's no lifeguard and no non-swimmers can be left without a parent and if they need to leave a swimming child, let me know beforehand and I would assign another adult to that child for direct supervision. I cannot imagine as the b'day mom wanting to open myself up for such liability with 17 kids and most of them not being well supervised. Yikes!

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default What type of place was this?

How could they rent out their swimming pool and not provide (actually require, at the expense of party mom) lifeguards. Sounds like a huge lawsuit waiting to happen.

Then again, the more I think of it, how could you drop your child off at a swim party and leave if they were young/nonswimmer, lifeguards or not.

Interesting.

Default We've done a couple of swim parties but the place

provides 2 lifeguards and a couple of parents in the water. Around here, most of the parents will stay and chat. It's a good way to get to know the other parents. I can't imagine leaving a kinder kid at a swimming party. Also, this place has the deep pool completely separate.

MelanieOH is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

The place was an old Holidome. It's now a Howard Johnson's. The pool went from 3-6 feet.

I came home and told DH that it would be these parents allowing their teenager to throw keg parties in 10 years.

Melanie

seals is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Wow

Just Wow! Was she trying to reduce the size of the kindergarten class or something? 17 kids and no life guard. When my kids were not good swimmers I never ever took my eyes off of them when they were in water. And I'd never ask a child to a swim party and pretend I could even watch them or rescue them if something happened. I've seen many parents stay even when there is a lifeguard.

ReneeNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default We did a K swim bday party...

I had a guard.
    I had two sets of parents (DH and I and the other bday girls parents)
    I had grandparents specifically to watch my 3 yr old -- that was their only responsibility.
    I had another parent stay and help me doing tie dye as craft.
    Parents were invited to stay or drop, as they felt comfortable.

I would never leave a child of ANY age at a swim party w/o a guard present (and that includes my now 8 and10 yr olds who are both strong swimmers).

Renee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast