Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IEP meeting woes here too! DD has a

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

The school only has to identify there's a learning disorder, which they did. They don't need to go into detail as to what specifically it is. To have a further eval, it's approx 10K, which frankly I don't have! And, our health insurance is probably getting near the limit...

Sadly, it's not a maturity issue for Leela, she's one of the oldest in the classes. It truly is a reading processing issue. Vision Therapy has helped a ton, however, there's still a missing component.

I do have an e-mail in to an attorney who was helpful years ago, when the school tried to re-direct us to another school and also had me get letters of support from dd's medical team to even attend the school. I can't wait to hear what she has to say!

I so get about honoring our kids strengths and weakness! I expect great things of Leela, and I don't allow her the excuse of her disabilities for not achieving what she has set out to achieve for herself! Leela has this great Sunday School teacher who has rather involved CP affecting her speech and body movements... she has her Ph.D in brain research and CP = way cool!! Talk about a role model, and hopefully she'll affect change on behalf of future generations of kids with CP.

Hugs!N

Hi C!

I do agree she's ready to graduate from OT, and I am happy to have 3 less pull outs a week... Kumon helped a lot with handwriting in addition to OT, so I think she's in a good place.

I'll e-mail you thru my g mail account - like last time? I don't have internet / computer at home right now, only access thru work, during down times!

HUGS!! N

BriNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Heres the thing... without knowing why she is struggling, how can you be sure the method is right? She needs a reading eval and teh best place is at a university- mine does them quite cheaply (I will pick you and Leela up and drive you, then pick you up, have dinner and return you to the train if you like- the Univ. is right next to a train stop).

Here's some NYC links for clinic:
    http://www.hofstra.edu/Community/slz...r_reading.html at hofstra
    http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/teachlearn/literacy/clinic at NYU

Any university with a reading/literacy masters program will have these and they are alot cheaper then what you've seen. The evals should be very low too, often under $100. Im serious about taking you to ours if you like... email me for contact info for the school. I was very impressed with thier speech dept- in 12 wks, DS hit 85% of his speech goals!

I hope we see you in WW!

BRI I LOVE YOU YOU ARE THE ABSOLUTE BEST!!!!!!!!!!! A Gigantic Thank you!!

I l/m for NYU, they're not too far from us, so it's doable... fingers crossed they have a summer program!!! I'll let you know! I am also giving this info to a friend of mine who has been struggling with similar issues with her little sweetie pie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome for ds and 85% of goals!! Way to go!!!!!!!!!! XOX! N

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

that is so strange. I think you need to get clear goals written on the IEP. Do they think she has a reading issue? If so there needs to be a measurable goal.

I don't know the Bell program you mentioned. I just wanted to send my hugs to you
    karen

Thanks Karen! It's appreciated! Back at ya!! : ) N

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2