Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Micro array PGD - bad results

Default Micro array PGD - bad results

HI Dr. Gordon:

Thank you for replying to my other thread about whether overstimulation can diminish egg quality. I am 38 as of Friday and have been through 2 fresh cycles and 2 frozen, (with 2 blasts from each cycle). all them resulted in a BFN and 1 chemical pregnancy (2nd frozen transfer). In both cycles, i think i overstimulated on the Long-lupron protocol:

cycle 1 - 300 gonal-f, 1 menopur
    36 eggs retrieved (28 mature), E2 over 5000, felt terrible, 4 blasts on Day 5

cycle 2 - 150 gonal-f, 2 menopur
    22 eggs retrieved (19 mature), E2 over 5000, felt terrible, 4 blasts on Day 5

I just completed cycle 3 (75 gonal-f, 1 menopur). 16 were retrieved and only 7 were mature. The 7 were ICSI'd and 5 fertilized. I ended up w/ 4 blasts on day 5 that they did a micro-array PGD on. it turns out only 1 was "normal" which is very discouraging and sounds like my eggs are terrible (my husband has severe male factor - can that also affect this?).

Anyway, my undestanding is that even if an embryo is "normal", since it is only ONE, there is still a very low chance that it will implant in someone my age (38 yrs old)? I wanted to ask your opinion as to whether I should bother doing the solo transfer of just one normal embryo, or if i should do another fresh cycle - which is quite expensive since i pay cash? are the odds of success the same with each transfer if you know the embryo is "normal"? I know the odds of success go up if you transfer more than one in a cycle where you're not doing PGD, if this holds true when you do PGD as well? i guess it would? anyway, i guess i'm just looking to see what you would recommend.

I also wanted to see if you know of anything that can improve egg quality. i was hoping that since i was stimmed on a low dose of meds that the quality would improve. apparently not! maybe the menopur is not good for me?

Many Thanks...

Default I did pgd in 2007

Hello,

My name is Jessica and I just wanted to say hello and wish you luck. I also would like to share some of my experience and maybe it will help in some way.
    I did PGD in 2007 at IRMS nj. I had repeated loss since I was 32. After 4 misses I went for help at age 38 ( I know I waited too long at the advise of my obgyn who said "you don't even want to know the tests they are going to run". I have a history of radiation from a childhood tumor on my iliac crest. The radiation was in the pelvis. Not sure if this is why I had 2 trisomies after D&C.... My fsh was a 6.4 and I responded well to my first ivf with pgd. we did the fish method. I had 20 eggs retrieved and we transferred 3 fresh. Over all.... 12 embies fertilized and 7 were deemed normal and 5 were abnormal. I got pg with my son Nick who is now a healthy 1.5 year old. We just did a frozen last month using a gestational carrier with our 2 leftovers in the freezer post pgd in 2007. they both made it through the thaw. niether implanted.
    Now I am 40 in 20 days from now. I am doing acupuncture 2 times a week and taking some chinese herbs to aid in my egg quality/quantity this time around now that I am 40.... Not sure if it going to do anything but worth a shot.
    We will be doing a frozen pgd cycle this time at RMANJ.
    I will cycle next month (May).
    I also wanted to add that my new RE at RMA said he will be happy if we get just one "normal" and does not expect to get many more than that with the newer PGD where they take a few cells at day 5 and freeze.
    He also said that one normal has a 65 percent chance of implantation at thier clinic with thier method.
    If you would like to be in touch to cheer each other on or share ideas please email me.
    nikonnikon@aol.com
    Jessica

Very interesting perspective. A 65% imp[lantation rate at age 40 is pretty amazing. Considering that both the aneuploid (abnl chromosome) and euploid (nl chromosome) miscarriage rate increases over 40 I am not sure if the number would be that high but RMA is an excellent clinic and if they have the numbers to prove that assertion then I defer to them. I hope that you transfer the normal embryo first. FET is a lot easier on you and your wallet. Seems not unreasonable that only 1 would be good. Is this an egg/age issue or a sperm issue is hard to know.

Only way to determine this would be to use donor sperm or donor egg or both....

Good luck

DrG
    100infertilityquestions.blogspot.com

i am at RMA and my doctor has said the success rate is pretty good with the single embryo in older women - he's not sure why and is looking into that. anyway, he thinks i should go forward with the single embryo FET. i really hope and pray that this one is a success. we're schedule for transfer in mid-May.

thanks for your insights as always - i'll keep you posted!

Hope it all works out!

Good luck

DrG
    100infertilityquestions.blogspot.com

Default Update

Well I hope you have found some succesS at RAM this month!
    I have been there this month as well monitoring for the freeze all pgd cycle.
    Well I responded a lot like I did in 2007!
    I had 9 large follies on the right and 12 large follies on the left!
    Unfortunately the retrieval did not go as planned and the doc coule only get eggs from my right becasue my left was up in my belly behind my bowel?
    So we got 9 eggs, 7 mature and 6 fertilized...Tested and frozen...Biopsy sent out....
    We will cycle again and test another batch before heading to transfer with my carrier.
    We are hoping for 2-3 normals but will be happy with 1!
    It's our last shot...I'm 40 and our carrier wont be waiting around forever...
    Hope you had success with your single embryo transfer.
    My doc at RMA is Dr. Drews.
    Jess

Good luck

DrG

Default update

Well we had our cycle using the newer pgd testing the 24 chromosomes at RMA...we had 3 normal boys at age 40! I was so excited to hear this news!
    Now we are in the two week wait...our gestational carrier has two of the embies snuggling in right now! We transferred two day 6 hatching blasts, both rated AB....Our Beta is on the 20th!

That's awesome news!! My PGD at RMA seems to have found me a good embryo as well. I only had one normal and transferred it in mid-may. I'm now almost 20 weeks pregnant. Am praying that things continue to look good and that i have a healthy normal pregnancy.

Please update when you get the beta results - very excited for you!!

Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast