Thread: This is a late night ramble, so thank you ladies...I feel very fortunate my DS is

chris s is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default This is a late night ramble, so thank you ladies...I feel very fortunate my DS is

a wonderful child, and generally does great. But, I can't seem to conquer this PT at night thing and he is almost 7. We are on a trip, so I realize that I shouldn't probably have even tried but he was doing so well at home...any advice? (I also posted on PAI board)

I also am wondering "out loud"...he has really overall done fantastic on this trip, (luckily right now we are staying at a residence hotel that my DH stays at all the time the staff generally have exceeded the EXCELLENCE rating and they have a basketball court that DS plays on at least some every day, this helps him so much) but he has started quizzing me on math all the time. I know it is sort of an OCD, self stimulating/comforting thing but I am curious if anyone else's child does this. It is generally addition and multiplication (although it will include division, subtraction and fraction, he doesn't do decimals yet) of both positive and negative numbers. What does anyone make of this? I have to admit that to work on his sight words/reading I am always asking about signs/newspaper words etc and that for years we have played a synonym game.......but never to this level. I am wondering if he is some sort of math brain.

Anyhow thank you gals. You are a wonderful group of "listeners".

chris

P.S. By the way has anyone notice how many truly noisy, crowded restaurants there are? Unfortunately, DH's boss and his family took us to one tonight....and why does everyone feel the need that we go to amusement parks? Generally, both of these seem like a recipe for disaster for us, the best thing that we have done on this trip is eat at the hotel (our suite has a small kitchen) a lot, not only has it saved money but I think that it really has helped the kids. They have done phenomenal at all the museums that we have been going to.

mckenziecat is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default hugs

On the pt at night thing - have you tried the bedwetting alarms? We used a malem one for dd and it worked like a charm. It is NOT unusual for a child to not be pt at night at that age - it's just not something that's talked about.

On the math thing - my ds does this about other things and for him, it's a way of just talking when he doesn't know what to say and I guess is kind of an ocd thing. I just cut him off - "we're not going to talk about math equations right now honey". And it helped a lot. I felt like mean mommmy but really, when it's at a certain point, I think it is a relief to them to have someone stop them.

hugs, hugs,
    beth

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

um, he is 6 and doing this!???? GENIUS! I am serious. My girl is 6 and just working on addition-subtraction on paper. Negative numbers at age 6??

Default My thoughts on the math ...

I don't really know what to suggest with the pt, except that if you are on a trip probably the stress is causing the regression, and he will 'recover' to his previous level of success once he adjusts or shortly after your return home.

The math thing is neat - it sounds like the fixated thinking that goes with ASD, which in my experience (my ds has Aspergers) seems to be stimulated by stressful situations. My ds has an incredible memory and he will read things and then recite them verbatium outloud, often in what seems to be kind of a calming/soothing activity for him. My dh had brought home a scientific supplies catalogue - a great big 2000 page thing, and ds was facinated with it and read it for a couple of weeks, and then started reciting it - complete with page numbers, order numbers, price, product description etc. He has a degree of synthesia (so for him, certain words have colours or make a sound) so he found the language in this catalogue very enticing - I suppose kind of like looking at a nice piece of art or hearing a song you like - which he can recreate by reciting it. I have noticed he recites it a lot more often when he seems a little off - school is bothering him or there is stuff going on outside school that has him a little off balance. I wonder if math isn't serving some sort of organizing/soothing ritual for your ds? Pretty amazing what level of understanding he has already and awesome to see one of his strengths emerging!

Amanda

chris s is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Amada, that sounds a lot like my DS. When he was little

he spoke almost exclusively from things he had heard, it was hard to pick up on b/c he used the words/phrases correctly (he also always used to refer to himself in the third person) and I wondered if this was the same. I have to admit I think that it would be great for him to have a strength in math, esp. since writing and reading come so hard for him. But, he has always had a phenomenal memory. His father is great at math/science, so I have to admit that I think that it is likely. BTW, his twin sister can also multiply, do fractions and negative number..they both are very good at math, I may look into gifted for this...
    chris