Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Barge-Could I ask a question about Vyvanse-

This is all so very interesting to me. We took ds to a developmental pediatrician on Friday to get another opinion about some of his behaviors, including focusing issues. He told us that he likes ds's school program, and he suggested Vyvanse for the focusing, but we were afraid to use it. DS is very small and skinny. We also don't want to give his teachers any ideas about using medication to make his schooling easier for them. We are going to try to continue with the behavioral strategies that his school system has recommended for children on the ASD Spectrum, such as using a timer, setting up an award system for completing each part of a task, etc. I think that a lot of the behavioral strategies for high-functioning kids on the ASD Spectrum could also be used for kids with ADHD, if you haven't already tried them. Just a thought.

-C-

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I buy the 1 mg gnc version. ds is taking 2 at the same time now. it dissolves under his tongue.

PPeanut is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

If you decide to go with vyvanse, the teachers don't really even need to know. It is long acting and so no need to take at school.

I was very entertained when the horrible 2nd grade teacher said she noticed no difference with meds. She was determined that my son was just a bad kid and scape goated him all year. So, at the end of the year, we took him off without telling her because of the side effects. She greeted me at the end of the day for 3 days telling me how horrible he had been. I finally just smiled and said, "I guess the meds did make a difference then. He hasn't taken them since Saturday". I know its petty and stupid, but boy did it feel good to tell her in a back handed way what an idiot she is!

I totally agree with peanut that you don't have to tell the teachers. Now is a good time to start if your school year hasn't begun yet. It gives you time to observe and adjust things first.

Vyvanse has made a huge difference in his schooling. We still have behavior issues but we had tried behavioral techniques alone first and didn't make much progress. After starting the vyvanse we were able to make progress because he was able to attend to people and be in better control of his impulses.

If you do start it, start at a low dose like 10 mg first. We found it helped but not enough. 20 mg was way too much so ds takes 15 mg.

k

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc View Post
    I totally agree with peanut that you don't have to tell the teachers. Now is a good time to start if your school year hasn't begun yet. It gives you time to observe and adjust things first.

Vyvanse has made a huge difference in his schooling. We still have behavior issues but we had tried behavioral techniques alone first and didn't make much progress. After starting the vyvanse we were able to make progress because he was able to attend to people and be in better control of his impulses.

If you do start it, start at a low dose like 10 mg first. We found it helped but not enough. 20 mg was way too much so ds takes 15 mg.

k
    Thank you PPeanut and Karen for your insights. We are still a bit reluctant about having ds take the meds, but I like your idea about not telling the teachers.

We are going to try the behavioral techniques a bit more, and I think we are going to try to take some of the sugar out of ds's diet to try to reduce the hyperactivity. If ds continues to have focusing problems at school, then we may consider the meds. If we do, I'm sure I will post about it on this Board.

As a silver lining, it looks like over the years there has been a major improvement to many of the ASD characteristics and sensory issues that ds originally had. The current ADHD symptoms are minor compared to what we used to have.

-C-

All great starting points. I have to watch the amount of protein he eats. He needs some thoughout the day. Also doctor recommendation. I try when ever possible to not let him eat things that are basically straight sugar, pixie sticks, sucking candies, lollipops, frosting. Things like that. When sugar is incorporated in cookies, cakes, snacks, etc he is able to handle it better as long as it is in smaller doses.

Just fyi. I think its been mentioned before but we had to use melatonin with the vyvanse. He couldn't fall asleep even when he wanted to.

k

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2