Thread: Can I celebrate Grant while also complaining...

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Can I celebrate Grant while also complaining...

On a positive note Grant who will be 11 yr old on September 8th can finally button/unbutton his pantsall him self when they are on his body!!!
    He can also finally swallow a pill!!

On a negative note things are not well in Grant's world. He is still wetting during the day-not as much as I desperately have him on schedule and limit is fluid intake. Hard with it still being in the low 90s. Same with #2 not as much in his underwear but still an issue.

We started Grant on Zyprexa on Friday and it is causing massive periods of rage. He is not functional in school-regular classroom 5th grade and paces repeating things like "made in China", and office supply names. Bothering the entire class and not learning. Which is sad as school started on July 29th and the only thing he recalls learning is about cells. Nothing else at all And I mentioned the raging and crying-we had him off of all medications to see if the daytime wetting stopped and to see the "true" Grant. He has drew some pictures that are disturbing showing him shooting at classmates in the classroom. I plan to show it to his private counselor on Thursday.

We are taking him back to visit the Pedi Neuro who dx him with PDD-nos back when he was almost 4 in hopes of getting some answers. So Wednesday will be an important day-if not direct answers than maybe where to go next.

chris s is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default One step at a time...

often times it seems like one step forward, two steps back. ((hugs)) I wish I had some wisdom or advice, but I don't. I am thinking of you and your family.
    Chris

Default Both the buttons and the swallowing the pills

are both huge successes! Congratulations to Grant and to you (it's hard to find non-button pants over size 7X, trust me I know).
    Sounds like you are doing everything you can and keeping everyone involved and on track - a bumpy track true but you are heading in the right direction. I haven't heard of Zyprexa, are rages something typically associated with it? Do you think the medication level changes in his bloodstream may have something to do with the pictures or feelings he is expressing or do you think that is what is really inside and having the medication break let him express it (reason I ask I noticed when we took the break due to switching from Tenex to Intuniv my DS ability to express himself increased right along with his hyperactivity). Good luck with your appointment I hope that you get some helpful information. Let us know how it goes.

Anne

Thanks ladies. He has only been on Zyprexa for 5 days so it is still new. The raging is not. Better day at school today as well.

I hope Wednesday's Pedi Neuro appt helps us help Grant!

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Trek- First, CONGRATS on the accomplishments! Those are major ones for a kid who has fought a lot of battles already.

We had the kind of problems you describe with one med (not zyprexa, but the name escapes me). Huge rage, anxiety through the roof, pacing, not sleeping. Call the dr. who prescribed it PRONTO and ask to take him off. If he's only been on it a few days, you should be able to just stop. This sounds like a bad reaction!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ellen

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Oooohh, really great accomplishments! I can't wait until Savanna learns to swallow pills.

Good luck with all the rest of it. I don't have any good advice but I know you will keep working on it and I hope find a good solution.

HUGS!

Susan

Today is Pedi Neuro revisit last time was 2003 with this Dr. Grant has very little sensation between his belly button to below his bottom and it seems beyond simply sensory explanation so that is why we are going. All GI and Urology testing comes back normal and he is still wetting-though not as much since we make him go on a scheudle but still having BM in his underwear which though is encopresis is not caused by stool backing up.