Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need advice (about school).

zmaditto is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think you might want to read this article...a trip to the doctor may be in order to rule out Strep related PANDAS as a possible cause for her behavior change.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/14/he...ogy/14ocd.html

HTH

suzybj is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Yes, it does.

I've talked to her several times and DH and I talked to her together. Apparently her desk is in the front row middle of the classroom and he stands practically over her when he talks loudly to the class. When I mentioned she has had male subs last year, she said she wasn't nervous because she knew everyone well in her class by that time. I assured her she will know everyone well in this class in time (a month or two) and she will get used to her teacher's voice, presence, style, etc. We gave her some ideas (think of something funny, etc) when she feels nervous. I also told her if she is having stomach problems at the end of the day to have them call me to pick her up. She doesn't need to hold it on an hour and 15 min bus ride home. We'll see how it goes. If her teacher contacts me, I will fill him in but he's probably experienced this situation before. If she continues to go the nurse's office I will contact the school counselor for ideas. I think she feels somewhat better after confiding in us.

Thanks for your advice. And, everyone else's also.

Suzy

redd89 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Well, I wrote a similar post last year about my dd in 1st grade. She always LOVED school since preschool at age 3. Then she started getting stomach trouble and couldn't swallow and occassionally couldn't breathe. She didn't want to eat - she was afraid she was going to choke on her food and die. (Unfortunately my idiot ex told her a story about his friend who died from choking on his vomit ...ugh.. don't get me started!) It was extremely upsetting. She went to the nurse a lot and I had to pick her up from school a few times. She said her male teacher scared her, that he "yelled" at the kids in class. Now I met him, and he was the quietest , nicest guy. But to her, a male voice seemed startling and scary. I tried to get her to talk to her teacher, but she was afraid. I spoke with the teacher who was great and he really tried to do what he could to make her feel more comfortable. Also, even the slightest hint of scary movies/shows gave her nightmares. In conjunction, I was also going thru a divorce. It was a very frustrating and difficult time.

She started seeing the school counselor, which we agreed that she was having some kind of anxiety and panic attacks. The counselor let my dd eat lunch with her for a while , since we were concerned that she wasn't eating. The counselor told dd that she might have a "worry ball" in her throat that we needed to get rid of by thinking happy thoughts. I talked to dd a lot - we drew many pictures. Before bed, she would draw pics of things she was upset about or scared of. Then we would change it to be happy or draw another pic of things that made her feel good and hang them on her wall. I showed her deep breathing exercises that seemed to help too. I got her an ipod shuffle and put a bunch of Kidz Bop songs on there and that would distract/relax her. We talked about praying to God when she gets scared and I said He would protect her and keep her safe. Finally, one day she got sick and threw up (at home). She came and got me and told me that the vomit was her "worry ball" that she threw up. I of course went with that idea and thoroughly agreed! I told her it was gone and she didn't have to worry anymore. I was very happy when school ended and I made sure that she had a female teacher this year. I think some girls at this age are more comfortable with a woman.

She still gets nervous on occassion, but I listen and reassure her that its normal and ask what I can do. Sometimes she needs a hug, listen to her ipod or say a prayer. I bet there is a few other things going on in addition to the male teacher. Sorry this got long! I wanted to tell you about some things that really helped up. I kinda wish I switch teachers last year , maybe ... although she had some other issues going on as well, so who knows. Good luck - I know how upsetting it can be to wach your dd go thru this. HTH.
    J~
    Last edited by redd89; 09-12-2010 at 10:16 AM.

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

awww....we went through this last year when my older dd switched to a new school. She has a IBS anyway and when she is nervous gets stomach aches, bathroom issues, diarreah....I swear the school called once a week for the first month.

I did let her take some chewable pepto with her but honestly the only thing that helped was time....when she settled into the school, no more issues.

suzybj is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Thank you!

I do feel we know the teacher well enough to let him know what is up so we will contact him tomorrow. I will ask his advice on getting the counselor involved.

You have given me so much good advice!

Suzy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2