Thread: I should write a book about IEP meetings ....

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I should write a book about IEP meetings ....

This is unreal. I am so close to obtaining legal counsel. The Spec.Ed director is trying to correct things but the county violated IDEA and I believe some state regulations as well. They did not follow Holt's IEP as written in May 2010 and they did not include either my husband and I as part of the team decision regarding his re-evaluation meeting. Not only that they did not include assessments that address the areas that he has presented unusual or delayed development in-imagine that So just because he has above average IQ he does not need any help-oh they go on and say look at how well he is doing in kindergarten. We are talking 1st quarter and again they are not providing any evaluations that back up their viewpoint. They also dimissed any concerns we brought to the table along with medical dx and evaluations.

Besides dealing with all this-now we have to reconvene for Grant on Friday-called by the county. Cannot wait They are trying to cover their behinds with him as well. Again, we are not asking for anything other than appropriate education and support for both our boys. Especially Grant who has not received FAPE.

It is just not my children BTW, some lovely stories and most do not turn out well unless parent seeks legal counsel. The county clearly needs to reassess how it deals with high functioning children on Autism Spectrum. They do not provide support of functional or social skills that many of these children lack and that do impact in the school setting.

Check out this email from Spec. Ed Dir that just arrived:
    "
    Wendy I will discuss with our OT and begin the evaluation."-regarding sensory and fine motor assessments for Holt. Imagine none were done despite a letter sent and an email sent by my husband and back in September.

Troy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I would stop thinking about it and hire a lawyer. Obviously, that appears to be the signal that the county waits for before it gets serious. Sad, very sad, actually, as it wastes everybody's money that could be better spent on services for the children. So sorry you are going through this.

ahava is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Ugh,

I cannot believe how difficult this can be - just reading some of the old threads --

I'm so sorry it is like this!!

BriNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I knows its going to be painful, but at this point, its pretty clear that they cannot or will not (or both) do what they should for the boys. I would really think hard about hiring a lawyer- it seems like its that or move. I dont know whats the better option honestly but its very clear that things are not ok and that you cannot keep trying- its not fair to you, its not fair to the boys.

Hugs. Big hugs.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

evil. they would rather ruin lives than do their jobs!? That has to be one of the worst school districts in america....or maybe they are mostly like this and i am not aware of it?
    So sorry that you are dealing with this.
    I hope you hire an attorney or find a legal advocate.

Angi

kec is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Wendy - I don't know if you remember but I am a spec ed preschool teacher. I think it is time for you to hire a lawyer. I can not believe what you have had to go through with Holt and especially Grant. Your district is unbelievable!! In my district, alot of things happen that I don't agree with but the parent is always heard. Once they get a lawyer, you wouldn't believe what happens!!!
    Any chance that you could move???
    Kari

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Thanks for supporting us ladies. I am unsure what move is next waiting to hear what they say in Grant's meeting that they called and will be held Friday.

We cannot move. I feel like I understand IDEA very well. The county is not blatantly breaking rules but they do not follow the individualized component of an IEP that is for certain. What I see is their reluctance to reply in writing if I do not use PWN-so for instance if I ask for data in a letter to back up how Math symphony which is a program offered to ALL special ed students is helping Grant-silence. Grant though his eligibility is Autism definitely has Dyscalculia-math learning disability. Grant likes doing the math sypmphony which they are now requiring at home since the running club meets before school and that is when they were requiring the special ed kids to do the program-fun doing math at 7:10 in the morning and missing the chance to socialize before school starts. Anyway, how has this program helped Grant-they just do not answer. Bet they would answer an attorney.

On to Holt:
    -preemie, he was
    - nonverbal until age 3-well had words than lost them
    -mild/moderate Autism dx until age 4, now
    -now pdd-nos though one university study evaluation changed it to mixed receptive/expressive language disorder.
    -grand mal seizures until age 2-though seizure free has not had recent EGG to show normal results
    -feeding disorder medically dx
    -phonological dx
    -sensory intergration dx
    -fine motor and gross motor delays
    - signs of hyperlexa:using letter magnets to spell CVC and some 4 letter words before age 3, wrote name at age 3, reading sight words at age 3, understood written words though not speaking beyond single words at age 3.5 (ie-"you will not ride the bus home")
    -not potty trained until age 5

Yet the county says since he is above average intelligence and scoring way above grade level in math/reading and listening skills he does not need an IEP except for Speech. This is 1st quarter of kindergarten, how do they know given his atypical history that he will not have an LD? How do they know if his medical dx will not impact him in the school setting in 4 months or next year? Not too mention that they did not provide comprehensive eval and also did not follow IEP as written back in May at start of this year because the school side of his team knew probably in May what they were going to do.

Troy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think you should hire an attorney if for no other reason than to really zero in on the county's responsibility under the law. It has always been my understanding that the district is unlikely to be required to provide special help (in whatever form that takes) when a child is scoring "above grade level" except to the extent those services are clearly and unambiguously needed, like speech therapy for Holt. Unfortunately, in this context, the school might not have the burden to prove that Holt WON'T need an IEP over the next year, and the fact that he is achieving (however that is measured, exactly, in kindergarten) will to some extent back up their argument that he is getting an appropriate education. (I would have a lot of doubt about measurement tools in kindergarten, but I know that some standards do exist.)

Given your experience with Grant, you have every reason to doubt that they are telling you the truth with Holt. It just feels like you are banging your head against a wall and need help. GL.

Laura H1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I just wanted to offer you (((HUGS)))... sending you strength vibes to fight the system...

I just don't get it... we had to struggle for two and a half years and I almost went crazy...

we HAD the autism diagnosis when he entered Pre-K... and they REFUSED to even hold an eligibility hearing... his pediatrician faxed all of his medical records... the school claim they never received the "autism diagnosis"... so then I hand delivered the medical records to the principal... still no response... teacher told us we were "in the queue"... turns out we were not at all... ds was failing also...

anyway, with the support of this board, we finally got heard... he was obviously eligible... the school's own neuro-psych and psychologist were shocked that it took so long, especially because of the medical records... agenesis of the corpus callosum (brain anomaly) AND autism...

so, we FINALLY got the bare minimum that was needed... and that took the entire school year...

I'm tired of the fight as he still wasn't getting FAPE... so after much discussing with dh, we both decided to spend our energies on homeschooling.... I didn't want to continue fighting in another state (we moved)...

(((hugs))) Laura
    p.s. I have you and this board to thank for getting us as far as we did... so thank you for sharing your experiences and giving me support in the past... now go get 'em!
    Last edited by Laura H1; 10-28-2010 at 12:26 AM.