Thread: Bottle drinking/Vacation question (SID)

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Question Bottle drinking/Vacation question (SID)

Savanna will be 4 at the end of October. She has SID w/ oral issues (very picky eater and quite a sucker. She used to suck on every cabinet nob wherever we went, embarassing!). Now she still uses the bottle to self calm and to go to sleep.

We are going on vacation to Oregon on June 30th - July 11th (flying from NC). Is it just crazy to even consider using this time to try to leave the bottles at home and get her off of them? I imagine we will have long tiring days so maybe she will sleep hard but I do want a nice vacation and who knows what this transition away from our regular schedule with all this travel will do to her.

I don't really care if she continues to use the bottle except I know it will start to push her teeth out. She drinks Rice Milk in it but at bedtime she drinks decafe tea. The tea is staining her teeth so I don't like that and I am starting to feel social pressure to get her off the bottle. I will admitt I'm a little embarrassed to take her to our family vacation toting a bottle!

Susan

Default Not sure if I can help with this one...

We had to get both kids off their bottles b/c of severe ear infections. Dd, however, got totally hooked on her pacis. She had them at night until about age 4. We "accidentally" left them at Grandma's one weekend and she fussed and got over it.

Any chance your dd with sub a paci for the bottle? That's the only thing I can think of.

HUGS
    Charlotte
    Morgan (10) ASD/ADHD

Default Some ideas I've been told ...

Menachem has a similar issue. He chews on his shirts and he takes a bottle at night. His OT at school recommended chewing (sugarless) gum to satisfy his sensory needs. She was able to get him to chew gum in school on the first try, but unfortunately he doesn't want to chew gum at home. We are still working on it.

A few ideas which our feeding therapist recommended: eating very cold foods such as icecream or fruit ices; eating spicy or crunchy foods to provide the oral stimulation.

If there isn't enough time to try these ideas before the vacation, I think it's ok to bring the bottle along. There are a lot more embarassing things people can do, and it adds value and sanity if it makes your vacation a bit easier for you. Hope you have a great time.

Default We had some issues with texture and oral stims

And my DS used to have "crunchy or chewy" time to work out his issues. He would eat licorice, starburst, hard candy and other things that took "work" to give him oral feedback. Another thing the speech therapist recommended was having him take a goldfish cracker and transfer it from side to side in his mouth with his tongue two times before eating (crunching) it. We also use sippy cups with the built in straw, and he STILL uses them at 5.75yo. He is completely capable (and does) drink from a regular cup, but especially at the end of the day, he drinks with the straw.

It was sort of unclear if you want to use this time to get her off the bottle. You might want to pack ONE for an emergency, and try the "mommy forgot to bring it" routine and see how adverse a reaction it produces. Maybe offering other oral stimulations might help aleviate the need to chew? Good luck, and I know how hard this can me. Don't let what others think influence how you work with your child. They can never know what it's like until they have to deal with it, so just brush it off and do what's best for you.

Diana

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I don't have a child with SID...

but I think vacations are not the time to try to stop behaviors, so I'd bring the bottle along and let her have them for your sanity! Vacations can be hard enough with interrupted schedules etc., without trying to make her quit the bottle. GL!!!

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Thanks guys!

I do appreciate all of your thoughts! Oddly enough, Savanna picked out a sippy cup to have her tea in tonight in bed. Maybe she will transition herself off the bottle herself, although I do not have my hopes up.

I think I will take the bottle but also bring some other options to hopefully use if it seems right but will not push the subject.

I love the crunchy, cold, chewy food ideas and I think I will pay more attention to that to see if maybe it will help us with the overall issue.

Thanks again!

Susan