Thread: How much do your children talk about adoption?

Default How much do your children talk about adoption?

My son is 7 1/2. My daughter is 6. Neither ask any questions. We tackled the "I grew in another ladies tummy" a while ago. Is it possible this is it until sometime later? How has it been with your kids?

Thanks,
    Bonnie

Allegro is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieV View Post
    My son is 7 1/2. My daughter is 6. Neither ask any questions. We tackled the "I grew in another ladies tummy" a while ago. Is it possible this is it until sometime later? How has it been with your kids?

Thanks,
    Bonnie
    Our kids are about the same age. DD is 8 and DS is 6.

DS rarely brings it up (i.e. he's never asked about his birthfather and since we've never mentioned him he knows nothing - this is a good thing). He has a photo of his birth-mother and half-sister in his bedroom. He talks about his grandmother (who visits about once a year) but he very rarely asked questions.

DD goes through spurts where she talks A LOT about it and times when she doesn't mention it. We've talked enough (DD questions are helpful because they bring things to the forefront for DS that I don't think he would mention on his own) that I'm comfortable that they know and understand an appropriate amount. It helps that we have semi-regular contact with their birth families which forces discussion. I know that they talk to each other about it in my absence. I think that is healthy and it was one of the reasons we have two kids.

When they were younger I went out of my way to talk about their adoptions and tell them their adoption stories. Now that they are older I let them lead and answer questions as they come up.

Default DS is 7 1/2...

he went thru a period, around 5 yrs old, where he asked questions about his bmom, but other than that he doesn't ask or bring it up anymore. I'm sure some day he will again, we have pics of his bmom and letters we will share at some time, Patty

TaraWB is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I have 2 boys, 9 & 6. The 6yo doesn't mention it but the 9yo asks quite frequently. He wants to meet his birthfamily and is fascinated by his heritage. We know that his birthfather is Welsh and Italian, birthmother is Irish American (as are we). He just did a report on Wales in school and told everyone that he is Welsh and wants us to go on Ancestry.com to trace his roots. I told him that I will give him any info I have but it is very limited. His birthparents requested no contact but he doesn't know this. When he is older I will try to track them down for him.
    We do have contact with my 6yo's birthmother so if he ever asks to meet her, it won't be a problem.

My children are 16, 15, 13 and 11...adoption is a subject that ebbs and flows. They'll go months without a single question/mention of it and they randomly have days where it is the main topic.

At those young ages, it simply is a fact of their lives, they'll have more questions as they pass through the various development stages.