Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Filed a due process claim today

Default Filed a due process claim today

I really do wish it hadn't come to this, but, alas, it has. I will likely get contacted by the school district in 10 days for an informal resolution meeting.

Also tonight in the mail I got the results of the SD paid "outside" Speech Assesment in the mail the SD made me do for reasons I still dont understand. (and which literally drove me to to lawyer's office) It came back as Apraxia, which is what I (and my private experts) have been saying for a year now. So, guess the school district got that today as well.

It is just ridiculous to fight this hard for something so obvious. Now the school district will spend more money going the due process route than they would have sepnt just giving dd the d@mn services. It is sooo short sighted.

Di

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Good luck I hope things will be able to be dealt with via mediation.

I have come close to going the route you chosen many times since my 11 year old was 3 but have not.

Oh, so sorry to hear that it came to this. You are right, they are so short-sighted! Maybe once they read their expert's report they will relent. The timing of their report arriving actually made me smile -- kind of funny that they will receive your DP notice and the report saying that you are right on the same day! Gee, someone in the SD is having a bad day . . . .

I hope that all goes well if you do fight, and even better that you don't have to!

Lisa

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I'm sorry you're having to fight so hard

I hope things go well for you. We went through mediation with our district last year. The first meeting was totally frustrating and got nothing accomplished. The next meeting we got everything dd needed in about 15 minutes.

Good luck!
    Ann

Troy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Sorry it had to come to this. There is a lot of institutional inertia in place, and budget cuts have probably made it a lot worse recently. At least there is agreement on the primary underlying diagnosis.

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Good for you, Di

I agree, we shoudn't have to fight so darn hard for the obvious, but in some school districts, we do.

From what I'm told, once you go this route, you get what you want. They easily back down. Especially with your backup diagnosis that just came through.

Sorry you are dealing with this but good for you for staying the course.

Good luck!

BriNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Im sorry that it came to this and hope that a resolution is quick and as painless as it can be. Because we all know that there is alot of pain when dealing with these issues

One suggestion- contact your local universities that have a speech program. If a school offers a Master of Arts in Speech Therapy, chances are that they have a speech clinic which is used for training graduate students. My university does and its about $200 for 16 weeks of one-one speech therapy (multiple sessions per week, we did 2 and some kids have more then that). My feeling is that school speech is great and all- but that it doesnt hurt to have a more targeted therapy when you can. DS went through speech for a year in school and did fine, but in 6wks of our university clinic, met over 80% of his goals. Im a huge fan of univ based programs- ours offers a variety including reading and speech therapy. Just another possibility...

Hi - I am already doing private ST, private OT. I doint think the SD really has anyone qualified in house to treat dd, therefore under IDEA 2004 they have to outsource to someone who is. We shall see....

Just an update:

we have a mediation scheduled for March 3, although it will likley move to a week or so later. SD also called an IEP meeting for this week as there was the outstanding speech assessment and AAC assessment and the SD has to schedule an IEP within a 60 day time frame.

I plan to record (see post on POT) and sit like a potted plant while they tell me what they plan to offer. Not gonna fight in that forum; it's an exercise in futility.

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default ...sit like a potted plant...

Very funny, thanks for the chuckle.

Though totally agree. This year I started the year with my roots planted firmly to the ground and my head literally up in the clouds...waiting for them to come to me. And it worked like a charm. Sometimes you gotta hang back, it works out better in the long run.

Good luck!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast