Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advocate has helped us help Grant...

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Advocate has helped us help Grant...

The changes are not as monumental nor as appropriate as many on this board seem to receive but our advocate substantiates that the school district we are in is very difficult.

Grant will receive ESY-1st time since he was a rising 2nd grader
    Grant had his Eligiblity changed to include not only Autism, and Speech Impairment but OHI-both ADHD and Tourettes.

IEE at public expense was granted 2 weeks ago but the Dr is so swamped we cannot get in until mid-June. Well school starts end of July and Grant is transitioning to middle school.

Yesterday we only had a 1.5 hr meeting, which after the last one that ran over 5 hrs was a blessing. The Special Ed Director was present which always makes a difference.

Awaiting to see if Grant passed or failed the CRCT. If he failed he either has to retake or attend summer school.

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

A step in the right direction! See what happens, you now have a witness should you need to sue the school, it's not just your word against the schools. If things don't get better, consider bringing an attorney to the next meeting, up the ante so to speak!

I'm glad you made head way!!! HUGS!!!!!! N

Nancy-thanks.

I'm heading down the same slope! They drastically reduced dd's PT this year and it's really been disatrous for her. Continual knee pain, etc... My pedi (and her colleague who always steps out of her office to see us) was so upset when she saw her for her annual! She was ready to write a letter right then and there.

I know you've had a rough time of it... this in the right direction.

If he drastically fails the CRCT - I think you should go after the school for one to one tutoring in both subjects to bring him up to grade level. They've already proven that they can't teach him..... have a plan in mind with your advocate!! HUGS! N

Sorry to hear Nancy. Check out this excuse about his testing accommodations from Principal
    " In error, Grant was scheduled with Ms.... for testing in her small group which required the read aloud accommodation. When this error was discovered, the only other option for small group was for him to test with an unfamiliar person with younger unfamiliar students. In an effort to provide the best testing situation for Grant under those circumstances, Ms. ....arranged her schedule to be able to test Grant in a non read aloud environment. However, this did not allow for a small group setting. The decision was not an attempt to provide something that was inappropriate for Grant. The intent was to address the situation in a way that would not negatively impact Grantís ability to perform at his best on the test. The fact that he was tested alone did not provide him with any unfair advantage."

Want to clarify that they were adamant last May that he NO LONGER NEEDED THE TEST READ TO HIM. Now they feel differently-yet still blame Grant.

Um-not buying it. Why because at the meeting the night prior to the test the teacher named above wanted to CHANGE HIS TESTING ACCOMMODATIONS. She could have proposed doing so weeks, months prior to that meeting. She did last school year 2times no less, the year before 2x as well-all without IEP meeting. Why wait until night before?

Anyone else here have their child's testing accommodations change so much. Not just setting but the things allowed?
    At the meeting on Monday the same teacher is still blaming Grant. She said that he needs one:one during any type of testing including Accelerated Quiz That is why he has performed poorly? But he also performs poorly on homework and has since 2nd grade. The IEE should help clarify if he has received or not received appropriate support.

I think a parapro might be what is appropriate. I am not keen on waiting until end of July to meet regarding his IEP for next school year as school starts here July 28. But that is what will happen.

Default I'm not sure what a para pro is, but I do know that

having an advocate did nothing for us, sadly (despite the advocate's best intentions and great efforts). Glad you're not drinking the Cool-Aid!!

Dd has a para for assisting her physical movements around the school yard. If the school is trying to get you to have a para for Grant, you need to make sure the s/he has appropriate education qualifications, and simply isn't being.

I think you need to coordinate all your paperwork with a time line of what has happened (you are very organized!! good for you! that's half the battle). Get a consult with an attorney ASAP. Find out whether you can get one to one tutoring to bring up to grade over the summer in all subjects, or September placement in a private school for kids with learning disabilities and cognitive abilities similar to Grant's at the Board of Ed's expense. Start looking around your county to see what school's are available so you have some options.

It really doesn't matter what the school or district "usually" does for a child, it's what Grant needs for his individual circumstances. Yes, federal laws trump local laws. Testing accommodations (directions read out loud, questions and answers read out loud, extended time, etc..), non standard promotional criteria, etc.. can work to cover the school's failure to education a child and continue with social promotion.

Keep going at it and don't give up! You are making strides for Grant. Step by step!!!

Hugs! N

I think you might be correct about an attorney. The advocate said the county would probably not go for a para to help Grant for middle school since he has not had one in elementary school.

I am going to check out what middle school classroom options are at the middle school Grant is zoned for-event though IEP goals dictate placement. I am willing to wait until after the IEE is done next month to see the recommendations.

I agree with your suggestions as well. My dh is so on board with making it available for Grant even if it is not. As far as private schools-Gant is adamant about riding a yellow school bus. That is his only wish besides smaller class size

The email is a bunch of BS. The Resource teacher wants to use baseline criteria for next year's goals-she is nuts. But we have simply extended his current IEP in order to get ESY for Grant until the IEE is finished.

How lucky are you! The power of the yellow school bus, lol!!

Glad your DH is on board, it makes like a little easier, huh?

Many hugs!!!! N

ReneeNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Yellow school busses transport to private schools (at least in NJ). Our district spends a lot of money transporting out-of-district placements. He can still ride a yellow bus AND get an appropriate education!

Keep fighting the fight Wendy -- you are on the right track!

Renee

RENEE~ A lot will hinge on IEE results next month. I plan to observe a co-teaching classroom, a Resource Room and regular classroom at the middle school Grant is zoned to attend. The issue is IEP dictates placement but I have heard that they since inclusion they do not have Resource Room at that middle school but other middle schools do have Resource Rooms. As co-teaching at least in math and ELA has not worked I am hesitant to consider that as the sole option. The county tends to offer placement in other middle schools from what I have heard. Private Placement has been harder to obtain.

Nancy-thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast