Thread: adenomyosis and IUI

Default adenomyosis and IUI

Dr. Coulam,

I'm new to the forum and my apologies if this question has been asked before. I am 38 years old and was just diagnosed with adenomyosis after an ultrasound (where the tech first referenced it) then a follow-up HSG and MRI confirmed. My periods have gotten slightly heavier, but are not painful and as unbearable as I've heard others describe. I've head two early missed miscarraiges at 8 weeks in '08 and '09 and no pregnancies since then. Me and my husband have both been tested and everything was normal, besides my RE having me take higher levels of folic acid in the event we got pregnant on our own again before seeking fertility treatment. My RE said he can't be sure the miscarraiges were caused by the adenomyosis and he is recommending my husband and I move forward with IUI as planned, warning us however that there may an increased chance of an early term misscarraige depending on where the embryo implants.

As my doctor said there is little information known about the disorder and I'm finding little information online about it (not related to a hysterectomy), I was wondering if you had any information on the relationship between adenomyosis and pregnancy loss or the success rates of a pregnancy for women with the disorder.

Thank you.

While some feel there is an association between adenomyosis and miscarriage, there is no clear evidence to supprot an association. I would go ahead as planned with your doctor. Have yopu been evaluated for bothe immunologic and thrombophilic risk factors contributing to your recurrent miscarriages? Dr. Coulam

Thank you for your reply. I have been evaluated for both immunologic and thrombophilic risk factors and everything is normal, just one of the MTHFR mutations was found and my doctor prescribed me with a prenatal vitamin, increased dosage of folilc acid, B6 and B12, but stated that the aspirin/heparin treatment was not needed. I've been taking the supplements for the past year, but have not had another pregnancy.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for the next attempt! Dr. Coulam