Thread: 7:30 a.m. appointment Monday -trying to keep anxiety at bay...

Default 7:30 a.m. appointment Monday -trying to keep anxiety at bay...

I am taking dd to another Ped Ortho, this one at Childrens to address her rapidly progressing infantile scoliosis (Found last summer at 3 1/2, curve remained somewhat constant at a hair below 20 degrees, I found out at our last appointment a couple of weeks ago that in the last 5 months advanced to 30 degrees. Turns out it is mid thoracic that doesnt repsond well to bracing, so all my fretting about bracing was for naught). So, we are off at "o-dark thirty" to see whom everone calls "THE guy." Our previous ped ortho says she doesnt do the surgery that will likely be needed, hence the referral

I know he isnt going to "do" anything tomorrow. I am just bracing for an avalanche of information, options, scheduling an MRI to look for malformations, etc.

On the upside, I have to colleagues who have seen him for their dc scoliosis and resulting surgeries. And all roads seem to lead to this guy as his daughter was a volunteer today at the place we go to for hippotherapy.

Just one shoe dropping at a time is better than a whole closet full at once, right?? At least the school district is under control at this moment. (They just rolled at last weeks IEP re: AAC device, traiing, software. DD is getting an iPAd2 loaded with alot of communication software, lots of training for her, me, staff, therapists, caregivers...)

Oh, and I am getting a root canal on Tuesday. Blech.

Thanks for reading

Default 0-dark thirty - at least you are maintaining a sense of humor

and it's good that you have been referred to "THE guy". Not knowing (that outcome, the dx, 2ww etc.) is always harder (for me anyway) than after getting the info/dx etc. Afterwards I have something I can do and focus on accomplishing, before hand I only have worry.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Anne

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Oh gosh! Remember, take in the info, see if you can do a little research and have your questions lined up beforehand. Find out who to call after the appt for all those questions that pop up afterward!

Take it step by step!

My dd's PT had the scoliosis surgery! That's how she became interested in PT, she was a wonderful role model for dd too!!

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! N

Well, we had the appointment. First, I want to say how lucky we are to live on a place with a great Childrens' Hospital.

DDs curve is worse than the prior ped ortho read the x-rays = she is at a 43 degree curve, he reads her first w-ray at 27 degrees. MRI set for June 24. Dr. said 50/50 its "just" scoliosis. Due to her other soft nuero issues (Dyspraxia, apraxia) can't say it is idopathic, more likely nuerologically based cause.

I am so worried for my dd and scared. Luckily, she is happy, sweet, funny and clearly not in any pain. So my goal will be to try to stay focused on the good until after the MRI results.

Thanks for the support,

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Glad you feel confident with the Hospital. Sorry to hear that the degree is higher than previously thought, but more importantly she's not in pain. Glad they can get her in for an MRI so quickly!

Keep us updated, OK??? HUGS! N

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Keep us updated after MRI