Thread: Frustrated with school....

ReneeNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Frustrated with school....

Our middle school has a rap that unless you are a super achiever, either high or low, they let you float around w/ little help. Emma is just finishing 6th grade (tomorrow). I just reviewed online grade reports. They got slammed last week w/ two math projects and a test, test in science, test in language arts, oral presentation in language arts, and something else. Grades are posted incrementally through the semester.

At the beginning of the school year we requested services to help her w/ executive function skills. She completes work, can't find it or forgets to turn it in. We were refused b/c she was not "falling" behind. Guess what, I've got a smart kid who is making middling to good grades but works her butt off for what she is doing.

Anyway, I was just reviewing grades online. She had a mini-math project that was due last Tuesday. Last week I asked her if she had turned it in. She said yes. Turns out that it is "missing". I asked Emma why it is missing and she says she forgot to turn it in and it was too late to do it now. I asked if she had talked to the teacher about it. She told me yes. She worked really hard to pull her math grade up from an 85 to a 91 and was on track. Well 0/20 on a project pulled her grade back down to an 85. She is in pre-algebra this year. I emailed the teacher (against Emma's wishes) to see if anything can be done.

We have to figure out a different strategy for next year. I am thinking that we are going to have to check homework due (posted daily) and email teachers to ensure that her work is being turned in. Teachers are supposed to post grades w/in 2 weeks of submission but some teachers can take a month. Does anyone have any other ideas? She has lost quite a few points in all of her subjects for missing or late work.

I feel like next year is going to be miserable. She doesn't like us in her school work but if she is going to fight for herself, DH and I will have to do it for her. She just turned 12 and is in full-on "tween" mode w/ attitude, sullenness, etc.

I'm very frustrated and sad for Emma.

Renee

Troy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Sixth grade is really hard for everyone, it's such a huge adjustment, but it can be a nightmare if you are disorganized.

We had a checklist for my younger dd that included checking on-line every day for homework and upcoming assignments, and what needed to be handed in and when, and we reviewed it with her every day to avoid last minute panics and late assignments. If you are diligent about it I think it can be very helpful, although it always made me feel like I was infantilizing her. Eventually, she did learn to do this herself without our prompting.

Her teacher took pity. Emma was offered the opportunity to do it in class today and was shown the impact on her grade. She told the teacher that she was "fine" w/ an 85 for the marking period. When I talked to Emma it turns out that she wanted to sign yearbooks instead of doing the assignment.

She got it done and emailed in by 230 P. The teacher said at 140 P that she needed it at the school office by 2 PM. I could barely do that if I were home. Emma couldn't find the assignment (par usual), totally redid it, figured out the scanner, got the file from the scanner to the computer (she scanned it to a flash drive?) and emailed it. She has never used the scanner before -- usually I do any scanning that needs to be done.

The teacher gave her a 9 out of 20 and noted that it was turned in 7 days late. I think she took the two points off that she got wrong and gave her half credit. We told her to thank her teacher tomorrow b/c she got an 88 for the marking period and an 87 for the year. I'm very proud of her.

We are just going to have to ride her next year and also get her teachers to confirm assignments are handed in either via email or her assignment book (her most dreaded enemy). It's just hard to watch a kid not get the support she needs b/c she isn't "falling behind". I don't care so much about the content of her homework, just that she gets it handed in and gets appropriate credit. If she gets a C on a timely assignment, fine. If she gets a C b/c she turned in A work late, that's another story.

Renee

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

RENEE~ I would see about meeting with her teachers. There are several ways to help IMHO but am not sure what system her school uses- color coding subjects, agendas?
    *Assignment notebooks. Provide the child with an assignment notebook to help organize homework and other seatwork.
    *Color-coded folders. Provide the child with color-coded folders to help organize assignments for different academic subjects (e.g., reading, mathematics, social science, and science).
    * Daily or weekly calender posted for assignments
    * Designate one teacher to help your DD. This teacher will regularly review the studentís progress through progress reports submitted by other teachers and will act as the liaison between home and school.Maybe meet on Mondays to plan and organize for the week and to review progress and problems from the past week
    * If not a teacher than a peer to do the same?

Wendy,

Thanks for the ideas. This is exactly the kind of things that I asked for last fall and was denied. I always used color coding personally (red folder/spiral was math, etc.). They get an assignment book from the school at the beginning of the year and have since 3rd grade. She however hates it and always has. She primarily relies on the school website and teachers posting homework. The 6th grade teachers are very good about it but everything I have heard is that it becomes less and less and most of the HS teachers don't post. Homework is typically posted daily -- long term projects are posted when assigned w/ due dates and constant reminders.

I know compared to what you are going through w/ Grant that this is small potatoes -- I appreciate your thoughtful response. How is Grant's testing going this summer? You guys will be back in school so soon (and we just got done last week).

Renee

One of my favorite things that we used this year was a post it calander. Some kids even use a post it notebook to jot down assignments immediately in class and then just put the post it on the calander when they get home. My DD is very visual. One book I read about organizing your child talked about how a project was just a bunch of small projects wrapped into one. So on the calander we broke her projects down into smaller projects and put them on the calander when they needed to be done by in order for the whole project to be done on time. You write it on a post it and stick it to the calander. When you are done w/ one part you pull off the post it. The whole project looks less daunting that way. You can also throw in when you are going to study for your tests. I have never had to deal w/ the actual failure to deliver an assignment. I think that follow up w/ teacher, and reminding her will help there. Hope it gets easier.

kiki

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Wow! I can see us having to organize dd like this in the

future too!! I purchased the post it calendars too - knowing what's ahead in 4th grade. I know I use color coded post cards too for study notes too. It helped me visualize the info, and pull it out of my grey matter, lol!

I really don't understand why the schools aren't stepping up and helping kids out! This year I went thru hell getting appropriate PT for dd- she really, really regressed. I really don't understand why it was so problematic. They're getting federal funding, so it's not taking money away from anyone. Sorry to hear you are hitting such a road block. I know a friend hires a professional organizer for her child, even thru college. Helped a ton!

Hugs!! N

One thing that helped my son was to scan in his work and e-mail to the teacher that night so there was no chance of it getting lost on the way to school. I think it really showed the teachers that he was doing the work. Then he would do his best to turn in his copy but if it didn't appear, at least he had credit for the assignment.

WRT not knowing what the homework was, try and find out who is in her classes and create a phone list so she can call a classmate and find out what it is that night.

I think that we are going to go all electronic this year and it's going to bug the cr*p out of her. Otherwise it's going to have to be a confirmation email that the work has been turned in.

This past school year, homework was posted daily -- I can hope that her teachers this year do the same. New team, new teachers. Hopefully she will have friends on her team again that she can call. Her friends call her for help sometimes but she is reluctant to call someone else. I also will buy her books used for at home (since the district won't provide) for those that are not available on-line.

That reminds me -- desktop computer needs to go to the Geek Squad. It's seriously infected w/ virus and other stuff. Ugh!

Thanks,
    Renee

Default What has helped my son the most as far as organization

goes are: An expandable folder with multiple slots rather than holding onto separate folders and a study hall/free period somewhere in the day. He does most of his homework then and turns it in before he even leaves school.
    I like the idea about scanning homework though.

I wish your school district was more cooperative.

Anne