Thread: Started new camp and had first day of eval...nervous....m

Val. is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Started new camp and had first day of eval...nervous....m

It's been a busy week here. Tanner started his new camp yesterday. What a great contrast. 11 kids and very structured and orderly. It was quiet and peaceful in the building, though the kids were most certainly being kids and playing, Etc. The minute Tanner walked in, several kids came to greet him, one asked if he would be her friend, and another tried to lead him off to show him the room. He was all smiles, though a bit overwhelmed and shy from the attention. He had a great first day, was calm and completely "normal" when he got home. And even made it through ice hockey class and swimming lessons afterwards without falling apart.

Today was Tanner's first day of evaluation with the dev. psych. I have no idea how it went, but he said there were 10 difficult activities and zero easy ones. (that was his description). After our meeting with her last week, she really feels we're still looking at sensory processing disorder, most likely combined with giftedness, and maybe Nonverbal Learning Disorder (NLD) or Overfocused ADD, depending upon the results of the testing and checklists. We talked quite a bit about NLD and in many ways Tanner does not fit ther profile when it comes to how he learns. So, she wasn't quite sure about that one, and won't be until the eval is completed. In any case, she's really nice, very willing to listen to our concerns and based will use all information (including the info she collects, old evals, and our observations) before giving us her thoughts. I know it won't change Tanner, but will give us more information to help him. Still, I'm nervous...

Default So glad to hear that the camp went well.....

As I was walking through our YMCA yesterday to bring Noah to his swim lessons, I couldn't help but think of you and Tanner as I saw the numerous camp groups moving through the hallways. It was such a hustle-bustle of noise, and that was just getting from place to place. Thinking of poor Tanner in that environment was so sad. It sounds as though this camp is the perfect fit. It can make such a HUGE difference. Glad to hear the kids were so welcoming, and that Tanner took it in stride.

With regards to the testing, it can seem daunting, but in the end, if it helps you to know how to help Tanner, it is worth it. I had some inclination that Noah might have ADD, but once we had a dx, and started with meds, it REALLY helped him move along. In fact, his ST did a 6 month re-evaluation this morning, and it is like night and day. We were so astonished how much better his speech scores are.

Even though each child is different, and may not "fit" into each exact dx, it is helpful to know what you are dealing with to be able to better address each issue. Good luck with the testing. It can be sort of frustrating, and a little scary, but well worth the effort.

Diana

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Glad he had a good day at camp

I hope all continues to go well.
    Good luck with the eval too. It sounds like you will be able to get some answers from the eval, which will be good. Please keep us posted.
    Ann

Default Sounds like it might be a

It sounds like this might be a good fit for him!
    Good Luck.
    Leslie M.

Val. is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Thanks you guys!!

Now, he's not so happy about this camp. I think it's because he left his best friend at the Y. And even though he was miserable at the Y, his buddy was there. Now, he doesn't have any friends yet and even though the camp is better for him, he's sad. I can't win....... I talked to the counselor this morning and asked her if she can help him make a friend. That always helps him. Sigh.........