Thread: Update on Grant and behvior in school...

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Update on Grant and behvior in school...

Grant is in 6th grade dx of HFA along with anxiety. Anyway, this school year his behavior has been the WORST ever. Last year he began to have verbal perservation in the classroom but he was NOT exhibiting the behaviors he has exhibited this year in 6th.

The FBA was started and I was sent the preliminary report. We will meet o discuss BIP. Though Grant has had behavior sheets he has not needed a BIP and he has been in special ed since age 3.

Grant's major issues according to the school's FBA are due to social issues and sensory issues. It is sad that it has taken this long to see those things actually mentioned by the school district as actual issues impacting Grant.

Sadly, the way the district moves I doubt anything will be put together prior to the new year. At least Grant is not eating paper, crawling on the floor and singing during instructional time any longer

At home we removed ALL of Grant's beloved car collection from his room and he has to earn a behavior mark of 2 to 5 in all his classes in order to have the chance to look and play with the cars. We started this about 5 weeks ago and are just seeing it shape his behavior in school now not all but it has improved. However, he is also lashing out at home and lately has had major meltdowns since I can not tell him when he will get his cars back. I try to explain the process of the plan at home and he sees it visually but he still asks a 20 times a day about his cars.

Two things strike me when I read your post.

1. Does Grant have the skills, the understanding and the ability to meet the behavior requirements at school on a consistent basis? Many kids with HFA must be taught each part of the skill and then how to put it together and apply it in a variety of social situations before they can consistently maintain control. Unlike a neurotypical child that can learn it in one situation and generalize it to all other situations, a child with HFA often must learn it in each and every possible situation.

2. If 5 weeks later, he has still not improved his behavior at school to get back his beloved cars, it is likely that it is beyond his ability to do so or that he does not truly connect you taking his cars with his school behavior. Both of my HFA sons would truly feel that you were just being mean and irrational to take their cars. There is no way that they would have connected all of the dots to place any meaning behind what they would see as random cruelness. Often, "school" and "home" are two different worlds to kids like ours and the wall between them (in their minds) is so solid that no matter how many times it is repeated, they do not connect anything between the two.

You might want to try this site for more suggestions: http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/ Many parents there are very familiar with BIPs and slow moving school districts.

(((Hugs))) it is so hard to figure out our kids.

Default All I can say is

I understand, keep doing your best as you know in the long run that it is for everyone's benefit.
    Hang in there. I don't usually use emoticons but.....

Anne

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Thanks Anne and Erin for replying. Today the math speical ed co-teacher called since Grant refused to do work and was repeating "I hate math", "I cannot do math". So I am going to throw some dates for a IEP meeting to discuss their FBA data.

Anyway, I decided to give him back his cars since yesterday he thought about them a lot during the school day and was very off in the classroom. Repeating things related to getting them back. I agree with Erin that it is too far removed from school to be effective.

Thanks again