Thread: vyvanase question

Default vyvanase question

My 9 yr old grandson is on vyvanase, but his parents don't give him the meds on the weekend, just during the school-week.Then he gets in trouble with them for acting out on weekends.For those of you who have children on this or any ADHD meds do this? Or should they be on it everyday?
    Thank you,Kate

Default My ds takes adhd meds and we sometimes skip

on the weekends. It depends on what is going on. One of the side effects is loss of appetite and ds is very concerned about getting too skinny and wants to eat more on the weekends. He's not too skinny but he is very active with hockey and wants to maintain. He has the inattentive ADD and is not hyper or disruptive. He just can't pay attention. Our pediatrician is fine with this but the psychologist recommends taking it everyday. If I know he needs to do chores on the weekend, I'll have him take his meds so I won't pull my hair out.

This works for us but every child is different.

Allegro is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Exclamation

What you describe is how I thought it would work with my DS (7) but when he started medication for ADHD last year the doctor advised against “drug holidays.” She counselled that a lot of the “bad” behaviour of kids with ADHD is learned behaviour. While on the drugs they have more power to control their impulses and learn to behave correctly. When the drug is taken away she told us it is more difficult for them and the “bad” behaviour returns and the vicious circle is continued. We do not stop DS’s drugs ever. He is on them on weekends, holidays, throughout the summer etc. He has missed one pill ion a year and that’s because he unknown to us dropped it on the carpet rather than swallowing it. We knew something was up the moment we read his behaviour report from school that day and discovered the lost pill on the floor shortly thereafter. I’m relieved by this approach as things are much more pleasant for him and us when he gets his medication.

Just to add, we do worry about his weight. It has been a problem. Recently, we've started having him drink a Carnation instant breakfast after he has had his breakfast in the morning - don't know if this is boosting his weight gain but it reassures me that he is getting calories and protein so I worry less about his ability to finish his lunch.

His midday appretite is less of a problem when he's at home so on the weekends the Carnation instant breakfast is the only thing we discontinue.

Troy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Depends on what the issues are. My dd's issues with non-hyper ADD related almost exclusively to school. Not that we didn't see it at home, but we could deal with it proactively using other techniques, so we didn't give meds on the weekend. If there are more profound behavioral issues, or if the ADHD is leading to a lot of issues at home, I would definitely try medicating on weekends.

I definitely concur regarding learned behavior -- sure, the behavior may originate out of a specific condition but it can definitely become a habit or a way of reacting.

Default thank you

Thank you all for your responses...I appreciate it..I hate to see him getting into trouble with them. I'm afraid that his self esteem will suffer and he will feel that he can't do anything right. I'm just being supportive without interfering...thanks again for your help!
    Kate

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Every day, no exceptions here. It's really hard on the child mentally and physically. I had friends that tried this with their son because they were worried about his eating but they found it was worse for him not to have it. They just monitor his eating.

I would imagine that his doctor wouldn't approve of this but you never know.
    Maybe you could suggest a trial over the weekend just to see how things go. You would think they would want to have that child that they love so much during their time with him too.

I'm sorry.
    k

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

We also can tell when our son has forgotten to take it. We usually don't know until later in the day because mornings are hard anyway. Takes some time for the meds to start working.

Default pepperlc

thats a good suggestion for a weekend trial...I may have to gently suggest it.
    thank you for taking the time to reply and helping me out.
    kate

we actually did a non-med (vyvanse) day yesterday and it is clear why dd needs to stay on. she was bouncing off the walls, hyper, loss of impulse control, not the same child as on the medication. it made as yet again realize how much she needs the medication. even dd will say she feels better on the meds.

wishing your grandson all the best!

Karen