Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ack... so disappointed... and tired about people making

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

: ) Thanks Trek!

People can be just cruel. My sister has a healthy child whose only "imperfection" is a tiny birthmark on her face, but there is always a certain someone in the street who makes sure everyone around knows their opinion on the matter. I know how annoying it is, but the only way is not to pay attention.

Default Really Sorry they were so mean (and stupid)

Quote Originally Posted by NancyR View Post
    assumptions about dd!

I had applied for her to be part of a mentoring program for kids with LDs... and had mentioned that she had minor CP, which means she walks with a limp.

Here is the organization's response:
    Our programs are specifically designed for students whose language-based learning disability and/or ADHD is their primary disability, so unfortunately I don't think our program would be a good fit for your daughter.

Keep in mind currently her biggest handicap IS her learning disability, especially in school! Which of course I mentioned in my response (yes, I got all mama bear), in correcting the organization's assumption as to what her primary disability is.... along with the suggestion that perhaps they should expand the definition of their program by a hair's width to include children like my dd...

What is wrong with people?? Done venting... but really so tired of this crap...
    Hi Nancy - I am Nancy too. Been there and done that so many times - different scenario same stupid people. I don't know if you are interested in pursuing this further but they could get in big trouble for discrimination by disability. INCIID has a section on special needs and in fact we do at least one newsletter a month with an article about advocacy (and school system) also - 504 plans, IEPs and ADA discrimination. If you want to email me for details or sign up on the mailing list

We usually schedule two webinars a month on special needs advocacy - this month only one on May 19th 7:30 PM Registration for the webinar is here

We have experienced blatant discrimination against my daughter when we are out an about. She uses a service dog. You'd think people never saw a dog before and when we are in a store - some of the people who work there are incredibly stupid and mean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2