Thread: Med Vacation

Default Med Vacation

I've decided to give my 12 year old DS a med vacation this summer due to weight and height issues. We are working with the doctor and may try a different med, but that's yet to be determined.

For the last 3 days we have tapered off Vyvance and today is the first day without... and I can already tell it is going to be a lllloooooonnnnnggggg summer!!

Ladies, I need all the strength and patience you can offer!!

ReneeNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

We also do med vacations in the summer. DD is on Concerta for ADHD. The first couple of weeks are a little hairy but she has so busy at camp that she burns off a lot of the energy. We do it for the same reasons -- weight. When she first went on it she fell off of her height/weight curve. This gives her some catchup plus there is no way we could keep up w/ the calories w/ camp and swim activity.

Good luck, patience, and strength! You will get through the summer -- right now it feels very extreme. It will level out too (or else you will get more used to the difference).

Renee

Allegro is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Good luck. It puts things in perspective - we're experimenting this summer with new meds. It's been rough but not as rough as no meds would be. Good luck. Renee has some good advice - LOTS of physical activity will help.

Default Thx

Thanks Ladies... I'm trying to take it day-by-day, but each day seems to get worse!

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Update?

Thanks for asking... things have gone from bad to worse so we have decided to go back on meds but try a different med in hopes of getting behaviors under control.

Default You gave it a good try and

I commend you for both trying and for recognizing the need for something. Sometimes I get hung up on the meds but DS doctor won't recommend a vacation because of the potentil ramifications (self injurious behavior). Keep us posted.

Anne

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Let us know how the new med helps.