Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Multiple bee sting and allergy question (m)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    432

    Default Multiple bee sting and allergy question (m)

    DD (age 11) walked into a bee hive today and got stung 16 times. She was in agony and hysterical for quite some time. After Benedryl, baking soda bath, hydrocortison, ice, etc. she felt a little better but still uncomfortable. My question is, I worry that she is now much more likely to develop an allergy to bee stings after being stung so many times...Anyone with experience with this? Thanks!

    Lea

  2. #2
    jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Ouch. Your poor, poor DD. I think this is a good question for your pediatrician at your next check up, but overall I would say that the fact that she didn't have a systemic reaction with 16 bites could be seen as a good thing. I know that sensitivity gets worse over time, but she's clearly starting out not allergic if she could have 16 bites and be treated at home.

    Keep up the benedryl and also give her ibuprofen.

  3. #3
    Lanie is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    816

    Default

    I agree.

    Ds got stung (bee? wasp? we're not sure) a few years ago and reacted about 30 mins later (from one sting). By the time I got him to the er, he was head to toe hives and his sats were 87ish. They gave him a shot of benadryl (fyi...I had given it to him in pill form--the dr. said that the liquid is faster acting) and the hives subsided--but came back with a vengence the next day. He's been stung since and carries an epi-pen but hasn't reacted nearly as badly (he's likely allergic to either bees or wasps--we just don't know which...).

    If she could be treated at home--especially with that many stings--I would say she's likely not allergic. I'm always hyperaware when my family gets stung--no matter which of us it is--you just never know.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Was just in the ER with my DH Mon night. He is 45 and has never had a bee sting reaction before. He got stung in the begining of July and nothing happened. On Mon he got stung 1-3 times while mowing the lawn and his face, neck swelled up and was covered in hives w/in 15 min. Of course I was away out w/ my dd and he was home alone w/ my DS. I was 3min from home and he wouldn't wait for me to come get him. He drove himself to the ER(I caught his car at an intersection and followed him.) I wanted to kill him and he now realizes that that was very dangerous. However, his blood pressure when he got there was very low. Well long story shorter, we all survived. As for your DD I would say it is a very good sigh that he did well after all those stings. The pain from all those stings must just be horrible. I would definately ask your ped about any increased risk of developing an allergy. From what all I know (dd has a peanut allergy), I don't think your dd is at any more increased risk of developing an allergy than anyone else. I would be searching the internet and asking my doc about increased risk. When I told my dd that her daddy now got to carry his own Epi-pens, she laughed and said, "Does this mean that daddy is going to carry a man purse now?" LOL! Hope the pain is gone from all those sting.

    kiki

  5. #5
    jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Adding a PSA: ALWAYS carry benadryl ...

    It is more important than almost anything else you can stock in a 1st aid kit. People should have it in their car, purse, etc. We used to use the Perfect Measure spoons but they aren't available anymore. However, carry them in some form! When my sons were attacked by bees in the country it was a 20 minute drive to get benadryl and by then they were incredibly swolen. I have a friend with severe allergies to everything and she carries it with her everywhere.

  6. #6
    cyster is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    738

    Default

    Went to ER with dd two nights ago with TWO stings. Within 15 minutes her eyes were puffing up and her lip. By the time we got to the ER, she had hives everywhere and was itchy like I've never seen her before. BUT - no throat swelling or tongue swelling. They put her on an IV and gave her pepcid, benadryl, and a steroid. Within five minutes - at least half the hives were gone and I could see her body visibly relax and stop itching. We got a px for epi pens and I need to learn about them - never had to use one before. But my doc advised me to use only if throat swelled or tongue. Otherwise he said bring her to ER for meds. But we will carry them in case her reaction gets worse.

    Long story long, I think if she got 16 stings and didn't have a reaction, she's probably not allergic thank goodness! The ER told us the bees are really bad this year and they have seen a ton of sting reactions.

    Hope she feels better- and you too- it's hard when they are in pain!

  7. #7
    novice5 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    807

    Default

    ((((HUGS))))) to your DD. Oh my poor poor thing!!
    I just can't imagine what that was like for you or her!! don't know about stings.
    Only poison ivy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •