Thread: Middle school bedtimes...

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Middle school bedtimes...

What time does your middle schooler go to bed while in school? Wake up?

LisaSp is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

DD is about to be an 8th grader (DS will start 6th grade). Bedtime is supposedly around 9pm (but they would often be up till 10). Our bus comes around 7:05 am, so my DD usually gets up at 6:33 so she is ready by 7. If I am driving her, she can sleep till 7 and we leave around 7:30.

Kids have been going to bed soo late and sleeping so late this summer--it is going to be a rude awakening. DS is used to sleeping till 8 or 8:30 bc elem school bus came at 8:55...so he is going to be getting up a whole lot earlier--but he is a morning person so it shouldn't be too big a deal for him. DD on the other hand needs a lot of sleep.

SharonB is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

On a normal school night, 13 yr old ds is in bed by 9, but this year he will have a lot of hockey practices that go until 10pm so it will be closer to 10:30 on those nights. He needs a lot of sleep right now, he has grown a ton over the past 8 months and it doesn't seem to be slowing down yet! His bus comes at 7:15, so he needs to be up by 6:40 to have time to shower and eat breakfast.

Younger ds' will be in 6th grade and their bus doesn't come until 8, so they don't have to get up until 7:15 or so. But they are usually up earlier than that, I rarely have to wake them.

They are all in for a rude awakening in a couple of weeks - have been staying up late and sleeping in. We need to start working on moving bedtimes up pretty soon!

AlisonF is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Glad you asked this because I was just going to post this too

DD has been staying up pretty late this summer (like 10:30 or 11) and still getting up by 7:30 or so each day. Our school doesnt start until 8:30 so was wondering if we could let her stay up til 10 this year. In the past, it has been a 9 o clock bedtime but I dont think she really ever went to sleep before 10 so it wouldnt be that big of a change. I just dont want her getting too tired staying up too late for nights in a row.

ReneeNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default We will have to figure that out...

Older DD (13) and entering 8th grade has never needed a ton of sleep. Many school nights last year she was up until 11 P and she got up at 630A for a 710A bus. This year, younger DD (11) will be going to middle school and riding the bus. She has always needed more sleep and if she isn't getting close to 10 hours a night routinely, she gets cranky. We just got her team assignment and she is on the heavy homework team (at least from older DDs experience on the same team). Younger DD also is playing travel soccer (practice 2X a week), violin lessons and Girl Scouts. It will be interesting to see how she does the balancing act and see if she doesn't totally crank at us! When she is tired (and/or hungry) she is a total crab, tantrums, and is irrational.

We will start nicking back bedtimes when we get back from vacation. They have been getting up at ~730A through the summer for camp. Out the door at ~705A will be a rude awakening. Elementary school was at 830A and we lived half a block away.

Renee

Last year it was lights out @ 9:30ish and up at 7.

Like others have said--there's rude awakening coming!

Quote Originally Posted by jeninnc View Post
    What time does your middle schooler go to bed while in school? Wake up?

CynthiaDL is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Bed at 9, asleep by 9:15/9:30. Up at 6:15.

My 9 yo is on same bedtime but sleeps to 6:40.

Funny thing is DD (middleschooler) leaves 15 min later for school but she needs more wake up and prep time.

ahava is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Well our elem started at 7:45 and middle school not until 9:05 .. which is really nice !

He goes to be at 9:30 and gets up at 8.