Thread: "Why am I like this?"....

Default "Why am I like this?"....

The question dh and I have been dreading, since we got dd's ASD diagnosis. She asked him in the car last night on the way home from soccer practice. Their new coach had them working on a drill, which required them to call out the other girl's names to get them to pass the ball. Dd couldn't do it and asked dh on the way home what she should do. He suggested just saying "pass" or "ball"....she panicked at that as well. He promptly changed the subject when she asked the dreaded question and then we talked about it last night.

It is time to get an OT to help her with her social skills. I hate that she now recognizes that she's different!

Charlotte
    Morgan (10.5) ASD/ADHD

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default What I do is explain that everyone is different....

and everyone has things that they don't do well. I say that she will have to work harder than others at some things. I also point out all of the positives of having ADHD because there really are positives. I don't know about positives of ASD. I think it should be dealt with honestly and not ignored because that sends a message of its own.
    Last edited by Suzi; 08-23-2006 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    and everyone has things that they don't do well. I say that she will have to work harder than others at some things. I also point out all of the positives of having ADHD because there really are positives. I don't know about positives of ASD. I think it should be dealt with honestly and not ignored because that sends a message of its own.
    I like this explanation. I haven't had the question yet, but I think it's coming soon. It's getting to the point where I might even just tell him soon. What is your list of positives for ADHD, if you don't mind me asking? I know there are some, but I'm having trouble coming up with a list. Thanks.

Default Dh and I really need to work on our own attitudes

,,,regarding dd's ASD. We have agreed that we need to talk to the coach so she understands. We had a last minute change of coaches in the past two weeks and this was only her second practice with the new coach. We had a very hard time describing dd's positive attributes on a student/teach info sheet recently. I wasn't too worried b/c we had a 2.5 hr. IEP meeting with the teachers the week before. They knew her issues. Still we should be able to say more than...Athletic and computer smart when we describe her. It's so hard.

Charlotte

Default There are TONS of positives....

Quote Originally Posted by zoeyz
    I like this explanation. I haven't had the question yet, but I think it's coming soon. It's getting to the point where I might even just tell him soon. What is your list of positives for ADHD, if you don't mind me asking? I know there are some, but I'm having trouble coming up with a list. Thanks.

if you google positive aspects of ADHD you'll come up with a bunch. Here's one I just found. When I'm having a down day/week with my dd, it sure helps to remember there are positives and I see them all of the time. Check it out....

http://www.borntoexplore.org/addquo~1.htm

Default Take a look at this website...

Quote Originally Posted by Teryn
    ,,,regarding dd's ASD. We have agreed that we need to talk to the coach so she understands. We had a last minute change of coaches in the past two weeks and this was only her second practice with the new coach. We had a very hard time describing dd's positive attributes on a student/teach info sheet recently. I wasn't too worried b/c we had a 2.5 hr. IEP meeting with the teachers the week before. They knew her issues. Still we should be able to say more than...Athletic and computer smart when we describe her. It's so hard.

Charlotte

or find some other websites that talk about positives of having ADHD. Do you see anything that you were overlooking?

Ihostmom2mitchandnick Guest

Default Hugs to you!

I know that Nicholas has this too......he does not even know he is different.
    I am sorry that you got the dreaded question....but remember...you and your dh are great parents.....you will get through it....your family is very lucky to have you.....they really really are!
    Big fat hugs,
    Mary Ann and Nicholas

D_JM is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default There are positives, I swear, as an ADHDer m

if you google positive aspects of ADHD you'll come up with a bunch. Here's one I just found. When I'm having a down day/week with my dd, it sure helps to remember there are positives and I see them all of the time. Check it out....

Tenacity, thoroughness related to that hyper ability to set your attention on one thing, an intense interest in the truth--it makes me very good at research and I really enjoy that. An ability to really listen to others because you sincerely want to know everything you can. An openess toward others that can be kind of refreshing--that is, a sort of lack of self-consciousness that enables you to think less about yourself and more about others when you're interacting with them. I take most people at face value--I never think about how I must look to them and I never assume they have some secret agenda. That's probably naive but I do think it's kind of nice.