Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Used OT Platform Swing from Southpaw Enterprises

AnnieA1998 Guest

Default Used OT Platform Swing from Southpaw Enterprises

I found this on Ebay - sensory platform swing from Southpaw Enterprises. Right now the swing is sitting at $79.00
    (We bought our swing new for $300.00.
    Just thought I'd pass this info along. We would have loved to have found used OT equipment in setting up our daughter's sensory room.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SENSORY-INTEGRATION-THERAPY-PLATFORM-SWING-GREAT-SHAPE_W0QQitemZ200022974813QQihZ010QQcategoryZ2518 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck,

Nancy

peanutgallery is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default dang, we're in the wrong biz

my dh can't believe they are that expensive, $300, really? Yikes! He said he could crank out 10 a day, minimum...but then again we're really not sales people and software pays more ;-)

Sheesh though...

We're going to make ds one, with bungee cords to hang it from. You can get metal hooks from IKEA and chain from home depot, and get a carpet remnant pretty cheap, too.

AnnieA1998 Guest

Default OT Equipment

Actually with the kind of "spinning" we've been instructed to do under the guidance of our OT -- we need a platform that is durable and balanced.

Sometimes it looks a lot more simplistic to build than it really is. The platform isn't as bad as some of the other equipment --- like the standard flexion disk swing. What I've heard from OT's is that this particular swing is very hard to get right. What I usually do is talk to the OT's some of which have tried to build their own equipment and realized they could with some items but couldn't with others.

One of the other items we just purchased for some really extensive bouncing is heavy textured spandex which we double layer and use as a hammock / bouncing device using the two hooks in our basement we specifically installed to carry the platform and boat swings. I found a place in Seattle to get the fabric.

However I do need a good source for really heavy duty bungee cords - any idea where to get these online. I need to find fairly short 12-14 inches but which will sustain 300 - 350 pounds (weight levels for the swings).
    We have a regular OT office in our basement LOL

Quote Originally Posted by peanutgallery
    my dh can't believe they are that expensive, $300, really? Yikes! He said he could crank out 10 a day, minimum...but then again we're really not sales people and software pays more ;-)

Sheesh though...

We're going to make ds one, with bungee cords to hang it from. You can get metal hooks from IKEA and chain from home depot, and get a carpet remnant pretty cheap, too.

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default dh made us the platform swing

it meets the same specs as southpaws. it was very tricky though. we bought a tire swing 360 holder to spin it from a local swingset place for $25.

as for bungee cords, check sports stores. and can i have the name of the fabric place?? puuhhllleeaseeee!!!

we still havent "finished" out our new basement yet and it killing me to see all our therapy swings etc not being utilized yet. we have to put in a support beam which dh keeps stalling about. while mckevor is still a lightweight at 38 lbs, his 16yo bro isnt and he likes the stuff just as much but won't admit it, lol.

our plans also include an indoor zip line to drop into huge ball pit.

to date we have the following swings:
    -rainy day door way swing set (hammock, trapeze, glider and 2 others i cant recall)
    -platform swing
    -disc swing adapted with 5ft long pvc pipe over cord for added stability
    -2 cocoon style swings
    -ikea tear drop swing
    -ikea misc swing bars, etc (forgot name)
    -7 various styles for swingset outdoors including ladder swing and rings

not to mention several floor therapy things and then the regular slew of toys....my friends tell me i should charge admission once we get it all set up again, lol. hugs

Default it's this place, isn't it?

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/

I hope so... it's pretty close to me...

I am going to talk to our OT about what things we need to add. We have a swing chair from IKEA but he hates it--too closed in, but she says there's a thing from IKEA you can put in to make it less so. We're going to replace it with a regular swing if he still hates it. We have a rope ladder to the treehouse outside, a trampoline, and a mini tramp and 2 therapy balls inside (one jellybean shaped one). We also have a balance board and he has a bean bag chair in his room.

It's great to get info on all these things--the "cat" swing (as he calls it) is a plywood platform covered with carpet and hung from bungee cords from chains bolted to the ceiling--so we'll find out if we can build one. I think it'll be easier to make the hammocks though, so I will look into it. Nancy please let me know if that's the fabric site, I think it must be, right?

;-)

Tracy

AnnieA1998 Guest

Default Yes -- Seattlefabrics.com

]http://www.seattlefabrics.com/

Yes -- this is it -- I am trying to figure out how to hang this now -- sorry it took me so long to reply -- trying to get ready for a really big IEP fight!!

Nancy

Default IKEA has some great metal rings

Quote Originally Posted by MyRocky
    ]http://www.seattlefabrics.com/

Yes -- this is it -- I am trying to figure out how to hang this now -- sorry it took me so long to reply -- trying to get ready for a really big IEP fight!!

Nancy
    Dh says you bolt it to the ceiling (locate the joists) and our OT has chains hanging down from the metal rings. We've hung a couple things--if you don't have strong enough joists (or enough of them) you can put in beams, but you might want to get a carpenter for that.

The metal rings from IKEA are sold "near" the swings, etc.

AnnieA1998 Guest

Default Hanging the Spandura

No we have the bolt in the ceiling covered -- I need to figure out how to hang the spandura for bouncing.

Nancy

Dh says you bolt it to the ceiling (locate the joists) and our OT has chains hanging down from the metal rings. We've hung a couple things--if you don't have strong enough joists (or enough of them) you can put in beams, but you might want to get a carpenter for that.

The metal rings from IKEA are sold "near" the swings, etc.

Default you're talking about this swing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MyRocky
    No we have the bolt in the ceiling covered -- I need to figure out how to hang the spandura for bouncing.

Nancy
    I would see if chain from home depot would help... are you talking about the issue of lowering it so it's closer to the ground? Let me know and I'll see if I can help.

AnnieA1998 Guest

Default 12 feet of spandura

Not exactly.
    We have about 4 feet in between two hooks (mounted into the beams) so we can hang the Southpaw "boatswing" -- we use this for the back and forth and side to side motion. What we need to get started with is the up and down and bouncing... so I bought the Spandura from seattlefabrics.com -- I got their name and exactly what they use at Jane Koomar's organization. So the idea is to bounce up and down in the Spandura - so her bottom it's the mats underneath. We're going to have to play with the length -- but I am not sure how to get the ends of the cloth hung at each end.. We got 12 feet (double thickness) of the spandura but what mechanism do we use on either end to to tie off the four corners -- two corner on each end of the Spandura ... does that make sense?

Nancy

I would see if chain from home depot would help... are you talking about the issue of lowering it so it's closer to the ground? Let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast