Thread: "Autism Risk Tied to Older Dads"

mrd is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default "Autism Risk Tied to Older Dads"

The Washington Post has a really interesting story about a new study on Autism/Aspergers etc. on the front page. I'm interested to hear what people here think about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...090400513.html

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default that doesnt seem to be the case in my local groups

most of the dads at time of birth of affected child were 20-to mid 30's. hugs

Default Dh saw the article to....

I reminded him that he was young 30s when dd was born.

Default My thoughts. Guilt and scientific analysis (m)

Thanks for posting this article.

I naturally harbor a lot of guilt. It's just ingrained in me culturally...Yes, dh was in his early 40's when Menachem was born. And yes, there's always the chance that the reason why we were infertile w/o IVF was because nature was not allowing children with birth defects to be born.

But, regarding the study, especially the last few sentences of the article:
    My understanding is that there are strong hereditary links to autism. So, perhaps the advanced age of marriage & children is a characteristic of the personality traits of the parent rather than the factor that "damages" the chromosomes of the children. Could it be that parents who have autistic characteristics tend to marry later because they finally have their act together at a later age, and/or because socially awkward people (like us) tend to marry later than those who are more socially skilled. I would be interested in knowing if the study evaluated whether or not these older parents had more autism characteristics than the younger parents.

-Carol-
    (unfortunately, I won't be able to check this board again until Monday morning.)

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default you saied what i was pondering too but much more

eloquently...dh and i are both social goofs and married rather young. just celebrated 12th anniv this weekend. but in general i agree with your rationale of waiting due to social issues. hugs

Default Thanks Lisa Marie! (m)

I love receiving compliments. Enjoy the rest of your week.