Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New here--could use some advice and hugs!

Default Intellectually, I know it will get somewhat easier....

That doesn't make this first week any more pleasant! I tried some strategies tonight that I found on PSAK, and things were a bit better--at least dd finished her homework before 9 PM!

Thanks again--

Lorraine

Default OK, I'll admit ignorance...

I thought I had done a lot of reading but I don't know what a "504" is?

And thanks, Christine, for all your support. It really means a lot to me as I'm wading through all this! (It doesn't help anything that I'm trying to get ready to quit my job so I can go into private practice, which will let me get rid of 2 hrs of commuting time each day!)

LOrraine

Default This is very reassuring...

I'm not sure we could afford the private evaluation, and I'm beginning to understand that doing it privately might not save any time.

Thanks for the hugs, too!

Lorraine

Default Thanks for the link...

I had actually read this article--spent a lot of time on ldonline for awhile there. I appreciate your insight on getting a complete evaluation in one place, because from what I've read so far, SPD and ADD can be difficult to distinguish, and I'm not sure how to coordinate that if more than one person is doing the evaluating.

And thanks for the hugs, too!

Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    LD's and ADHD. I agree that I'd pursue a private evaluation and also the school exam at the same time. Sometimes it can take 60+ days to get into a private person also. I'd also try to find someone who can give you a complete eval instead of one exam here and another exam there. I think it is better for someone to look at the child as a whole.

http://ldonline.org/article/6027

Christine S Guest

Default Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.....

BEcause I've heard so many different definitions.....

504 is essentially a way to get some accomodations in legal form. It's not as good as getting an IEP for many reasons I won't get into, but they are easier to get (probably becuase it's not as good!). However, even a 504 can be a royal PITA to get from a school.

Our school is a brand new charter school so we were likely one of the very first to get on a 504. We simply asked, they did it w/o question. Other schools may be overloaded and that's where they start giving you the runaround. But it does NOT hurt to ask right up front.

Go get that conference with the teacher first and see what you can work out.

C

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Lorraine...

Just wanted to offer some big hugs. It is so hard. I know exactly what you mean about trying to cope; I feel like I've given up on sleep just to keep our household running. When I was on vacation in August, I slept more than I've ever slept in my life - 10-12 hrs a night and then a nap in the day. It really brought home to me how profoundly exhausted I was.

So don't try to do it all. Make one phone call a day, take baby steps, and maybe it won't seem so overwhelming. It's so early in the school year, I think it's great that you're already so aware of what's going on. You'll get your DD the help she needs, and it's o.k. if that takes some time. Having a SN kid is just a whole 'nother level of parenting that takes a lot out of each of us. Good luck and keep us posted.

Justine

Default Thanks!...

Every little bit of insight helps...

Lorraine

Default Thanks! I have a line on a dev. ped,

and possibly an OT.

Thanks for the support.

Lorraine

Default Thats my problem--distinguishing between the two..

I hope I can find the right combination of players, though it seems a challenge when SPD and ADD are evaluated seperatly.

Lorraine

Default Profoundly exhausted--boy, can I relate!...

Thank you for reminding me I don't have to do it all today. But, I think I do need to make a list to give the work some focus and parameters.

Thanks--

Lorraine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2