Thread: Oh Christine S.....just some light reading...

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Oh Christine S.....just some light reading...

for you. I thought this was an interesting article with relevance to what we were trying to get over on PSAK.

http://www.nldline.com/gifted_and_ld.htm

and check out these others...I haven't had time to read through the rest.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/T...gifted_ld.html

Christine S Guest

Default Thanks Suzi!

I will look at them tomorrow.

C

Val. is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

barging here...I have many articles along these same lines, if you need any links. I had so much to say regarding that thread, but didn't even have the energy to get involved.

Christine S Guest

Default Yes, actually I'd love to see them.

The whole thread just gave me a big giant headache. lol But it was at least interesting.

C

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default *barge*

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    for you. I thought this was an interesting article with relevance to what we were trying to get over on PSAK.

http://www.nldline.com/gifted_and_ld.htm

and check out these others...I haven't had time to read through the rest.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/T...gifted_ld.html
    Oh my. I'm so glad you posted this! I had to LOL when I went back and read that thread. Because guess what? My DS is that kid you were writing about - IQ above 130 with some performance areas around 100! So you can guess where I fall in that debate . The article is great. I'm forwarding it right now. Can I ask how you found a private school that worked for your family? What did you look for? One concern I have is that a school might not be willing to take on a kid who has a LD/IEP. But I've been thinking more and more about this, b/c based on my recent reading - our states ranks 50th out of 50 in funding for G&T education. I'm increasingly skeptical that our public school is going to help my kid reach his potential. Hope you'll share more! Thanks...

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default *barge again *

Quote Originally Posted by Christine S
    The whole thread just gave me a big giant headache. lol But it was at least interesting.

C
    Hey Val...I know you're way busy right now, but if you pull anything together I'll take whatever you've got )). I've been trying to read up on this on my own and there's just so much to weed through. ack. It's so complicated..

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default We knew about this school in Dallas....

Quote Originally Posted by ybab
    Oh my. I'm so glad you posted this! I had to LOL when I went back and read that thread. Because guess what? My DS is that kid you were writing about - IQ above 130 with some performance areas around 100! So you can guess where I fall in that debate . The article is great. I'm forwarding it right now. Can I ask how you found a private school that worked for your family? What did you look for? One concern I have is that a school might not be willing to take on a kid who has a LD/IEP. But I've been thinking more and more about this, b/c based on my recent reading - our states ranks 50th out of 50 in funding for G&T education. I'm increasingly skeptical that our public school is going to help my kid reach his potential. Hope you'll share more! Thanks...

It is a private school for learning different children who have average to above average IQ's. I wonder if there is one in your area? I imagine it is alot like your SN preschool. EVERY teacher gets it. EVERY administrator gets it. I don't have to worry at all about her education or how anyone perceives her from the classroom to the playground, etc.

D_JM is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Very useful information--as an ADHDer/NLDer m

I can see how incredibly useful metacognitive training would have been for me, especially for the impulsivity (e.g., saying things out loud that I shouldn't have) and channeling the creativity in a more suitable fashion (I am still mortified by how when I was in 4th grade, I so wanted to win the Flag Day contest that I wrote an essay that in effect was anti-flag (I can't remember what I said exactly), thinking nobody else would do that and so mine would stand out. It did indeed stand out and my parents got called to the principal's office for it . . .).

And the reward system--once my son actually has more specific desires (currently he doesn't really want anything in particular probably owing in part to lack of peer interaction), I think the reward system is going to work really well. I wish my parents had had this information when I was a kid.

Thanks for posting the links!

Christine S Guest

Default I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't but...

I had to chuckle over your rationalization for that flag essay. I don't necessarily think it was proper for them to call your parents in over it, but that was also probably more a sign of those times.

I'm anxious to get results for Tobin's last eval. And I'm not sure which direction I WANT those results to go in...KWIM? Might be hoping for some *normal average* results this time.

C

D_JM is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I'm glad someone can laugh!

I am just so glad we know what know today so that maybe some of that stuff we went through (I'm sure you could share your own war stories), they don't have to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine S
    I had to chuckle over your rationalization for that flag essay. I don't necessarily think it was proper for them to call your parents in over it, but that was also probably more a sign of those times.

I'm anxious to get results for Tobin's last eval. And I'm not sure which direction I WANT those results to go in...KWIM? Might be hoping for some *normal average* results this time.
    When are you expecting these results and who did the eval? Yeah, I could tolerate some normal average here, too. Keep us posted.