Thread: I could use some IEP/Eval help

chrissy 1 Guest

Default I could use some IEP/Eval help

DS is on language consult. Over the past year his old ST(we just switched schools) has been monitoring him for dysfluency. I have requested that DS start being treated for his dysfluency, but because he is on language consult, and dysfluency is considered speech, I am being told I need to request a new IEP and have him evaluated for dysfluency. The new ST did talk to him for a few minutes, but said she did not here the dysfluency. If they evaluate him, but tell me he does not qualify, how long before I have to wait before I can have him evaluated again? Part of my thought is I can pull him out of the new school and put him back into the old school, where I know the ST there will label and treat him. But obviousely I moved schools for other reasons, and going back would have it's other problems. DS has been receiving services for four years now and has worked so hard. I can't fail him now, but am not sure what to do.

I guess my main question is if I have him evaluated now and he doesn't qualify, how long before I can have him evaluated again?

TIA for any words of wisdom

Chrissy & Andrew (SID, speech delay and dysfluency)

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Is there any way you could do private ST?

Check your insurance policy and see if it will cover ST. My dd made the most progress in private ST. She worked on different areas with a private SLP than the SLP she worked with at school. I don't know what the rules are about how long it takes to re-evaluate him. Will she not consider the test results of the old ST?

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hi, check to see if insurence like previous poster suggested covers an evaluation. I think it has to be at least 6 months, or a year between evaluations through school. I wish I could suggest something, I can hear the frustration. Can the St give you some ideas to work with dysluency at home? I do a bunch with Grant(this is his 6 year of speech therapy). What types of thing does Andrew do if i may ask, that makes you think dyfluency?

Goodluck

chrissy 1 Guest

Default Hi Wendy

Thanks for replying. Yes I am really frustrated. My biggest fear when I switched schools was how it would affect Andrew's therapies. The people at the old school were soo wonderful with him. Hopefully I will get this all straightened out. Anyway, Andrew started exhibiting stuttering almost a year and a half ago. It was very mild so we pretty much ignored it. Last year his pre-school year was quite stressful (3 different teachers in one year). We noticed the stuttering becoming more frequent, but he also elongates words and even repeats whole words in a sentence. When he is excited it worsens, but it even happens at rest. Some days are worse than others, which is what makes me so fearful. The day he has the eval may be a good day so he may not qualify. Catch him on a bad day, and I know he will qualify.

I probably gave you more info than you wanted...Sorry. Why did you ask about the dysfluency? Are you seeing problems with Grant? I hope some of my info helps in some way

Chrissy

I absolutly recommend getting an outside speech and language eval. If the system does not find what you expect and he does not qualify, get an outside eval. Where I am, we are mandated to meet about an outside eval that is shared wiht us by the parents.

GL!
    Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy 1
    DS is on language consult. Over the past year his old ST(we just switched schools) has been monitoring him for dysfluency. I have requested that DS start being treated for his dysfluency, but because he is on language consult, and dysfluency is considered speech, I am being told I need to request a new IEP and have him evaluated for dysfluency. The new ST did talk to him for a few minutes, but said she did not here the dysfluency. If they evaluate him, but tell me he does not qualify, how long before I have to wait before I can have him evaluated again? Part of my thought is I can pull him out of the new school and put him back into the old school, where I know the ST there will label and treat him. But obviousely I moved schools for other reasons, and going back would have it's other problems. DS has been receiving services for four years now and has worked so hard. I can't fail him now, but am not sure what to do.

I guess my main question is if I have him evaluated now and he doesn't qualify, how long before I can have him evaluated again?

TIA for any words of wisdom

Chrissy & Andrew (SID, speech delay and dysfluency)

Val. is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Tanner has mild dysfluencies too, which are worse when he's trying to process something or when he gets anxious. Anyway, when he was tested, he didn't exhibit ONE (NOT EVEN ONE) dysfluency during the eval. So, of course, he couldn't get help. They told us to come back in a year, but if we started noticing it getting worse, or if we could get a sample of it on tape, to bring that in and they would reassess the situation.

Is it possible to have your new SLP talk to your old SLP for info on the dysfluency? If it's like with my son, it's not constant nor consistent.

Good luck!

chrissy 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywm
    I absolutly recommend getting an outside speech and language eval. If the system does not find what you expect and he does not qualify, get an outside eval. Where I am, we are mandated to meet about an outside eval that is shared wiht us by the parents.

GL!
    Kerry
    Kerry I will keep this in mind if I can't get him services

Thanks for the info

chrissy 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Val.
    Tanner has mild dysfluencies too, which are worse when he's trying to process something or when he gets anxious. Anyway, when he was tested, he didn't exhibit ONE (NOT EVEN ONE) dysfluency during the eval. So, of course, he couldn't get help. They told us to come back in a year, but if we started noticing it getting worse, or if we could get a sample of it on tape, to bring that in and they would reassess the situation.

Is it possible to have your new SLP talk to your old SLP for info on the dysfluency? If it's like with my son, it's not constant nor consistent.

Good luck!
    Fortunately MY old SLP said I can throw her name around as much as I want and told me to tell the liasion and new SLP to call her. She is really so helpful to us. I do think Tanner and Andrew are similar with the dysfluency. You are right it can be so inconsistent. Tonight I was at a frien'ds house and Andrew was stuggling so much, it just broke my heart. Unfortunately I didn't have a tape recorder with me.

Chrissy

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

heres my thoughts....unless you know for a fact that the school st and spec ed dept will administer the proper tests to show his problems. i would not allow the test him.

i use private evals and bring them to the school spec ed dept. i have had bad luck with school evals not testing the weak areas and instead testing the strong areas and thus saying no services are needed.

so thats my opinion. its money well spent for private evals, imho and my experience. hugs miss chatting with ya!!!