Thread: I tested dd for adhd (m)

KaylieS Guest

Default I tested dd for adhd (m)

Not a full testing panel, and gosh only knows if my administration was really valid, but I did it.

The test is a computerized one and fairly much a gold standard in adhd testing. It starts at age 6 and dd is 3 mos shy of 6 so I had to put in a bd of 10/1/00 so it would score her.

Anyway, what it does is plot her scores, the average adhd person scores, and then the population norms. Her profile matched the adhd one eerily... if you look at the adhd profile it goes up and down, up and down, peaks, etc...hers follows the pattern almost perfectly but is above it the whole way. (the pattern is for the different things it scores on)

Then the program has a confidence % that her profile matches an adhd one...50% would mean she could or could not match an adhd person. Well, her % was 73%...that's pretty high. Hers was the attentional part - the ADD.

So I brought it home and gave it to dh, the clinical psychologist. He read it over and we talked about it. Neither of us really knows how much the 3 1/2 months would make a difference in her ability to do the program. (he's not a child psychologist).

But either way, we think it's close enough to warrant attention. I don't have any intention of medicating her. My goal is basically to figure out how to teach her best. So he suggested I "check out" a few books on add and parenting or teaching from our counseling office library.

It was amusing and yet painful to watch her take it. I told her it was a game to play while I cleaned the cat's litter box at the office (the cat's potty room is right off the testing room). I've taken the test before and it quickly gets SUPER boring...so a few min into it the feet start going...tapping against the chair, etc. Then I hear "this is boring, I want to play playhouse disney"..."I don't want to do this anymore"...I don't like this game, it's dumb...etc. I encouraged her to continue and reminded her we would get a neat printout at the end so she had to finish it. Her desire to continue got worse and worse near the end of it, but she did finish it. I was shocked though that her behavior and performance matched the adhd profile. You have to hit the space bar thruout it and I'd see her randomly start banging at it, or staring into space and miss doing it, etc.

Oh, I forgot to share, her weakness was inattention - an ADD profile. I think she had one or 2 indicators of impulsive, but LOTS MORE for inattentive, so that's her prob- which totally matches the schoolwork issues we've had.

In a way, it really seems like she has an intolerance for boring-ness. Which doesn't surprise me, based on kids I"ve known w/add on here and in real life. When we came home, she soon got on our computer and was trying to play a game called Croc. It's a cute game and I find it fairly challenging - so it's pretty hard for her. She tried and tried at it over and over - despite dying, etc.

In other words, she can attend and even persist when things are tough just fine. If she finds it worthwhile.

It really makes me wonder about all this "add" stuff. I"m not saying that there aren't kids who have a very serious life-affecting disability with add, because I don't know all kids. But what i"m saying is how much of diagnosed add is really a clinical disease and how much of it is kids/adults who are unwilling to persist at boring as all get out activities? Boring to them, that is.

For example, dd has no problem spending 3 hrs in our classroom learning every morning - she pays attention and tries and learns like crazy. But 5 minutes of me trying to get her to read a dumb sentence or write her words more than once, and I"ve lost her - she's staring at the wall, tapping her pencil like a drum, etc.

Or is it really a stimulation issue? At one point in class I put on music - that was when we were spelling words w/foam letters and we had a good time. And I"ve also found that she learns better when her bro is there. He's only 3ish and isn't keeping up with her, but maybe he keeps her stimulated enough that she isn't bored.

I wonder how many ADD kids in public schools would benefit from an environment like ours where I bend over backwards to make learning fun, and break up the morning w/dancing around to rock n roll or playing games like pretending to pollinate flowers by putting felt in hats around the room while buzzing like a bee?

Well, I don't know. She's only in kindergarten and I"ve only been doing this for a couple of months. And maybe she doesn't really have ADD and it's just her age.

But I really do wonder if some of the diagnosed ADD is really an allergy to traditional school systems. Not all of it, and certainly not the ADHD children - I've seen enough of them in our office running around like mini-spazzes to see how much of that is part of them.

My all time fav story that you've prob heard is the little boy I taught in sunday school that wanted to be a garbage man from when he was 3 yrs old...he was ADD and on meds. ANd I could see it -we'd be cutting stuff out of paper in class and he'd get bored and start goofing off. I'd have to keep reminding him to keep working. But the funny thing is when he was around 10-12 yrs old I had him over to help me move. He spent a good 8 hr day packing boxes nonstop. He was a hard worker and didn't goof off AT ALL. He also loved doing recycling and carrying the garbage can around at church dinners to help out. He was not inattentive at stuff he liked. But in school, doing regular schoolwork, it was such a trial for him. And in evenings, fights w/his dad everynight to try to get it done. I"ve always wondered at the incongruity in his behavior, but it's the same w/dd. (and btw, he is 18 now and going to technical school to be a mechanic - so he can work on repairing garbage trucks!! Go figure!)

Anyway...that was the result of the test. I dont' think we will go thru formal testing at this point as long as she continues to make progress at home learning. I am hoping teh books we have at work will really help me help her learn - esp when it comes to finding alternative ways to teach stuff that is "boring".

Kaylie
    Cassie 1/24/01

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

i strongly encouarage you to read "driven to distraction" its a book on add/adhd viewed from childhood thru adulthood. its also on audio and is at most libraries. or can be bought thru amazon.

it will help explain more about add/adhd and answer some of the confusion/questions you have. hugs

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I also think Driven to Distraction is an excellent book..

along with a general book like Dr. Sears one titled The A.D.D. Book. I'd read everything I could get my hands on about ADHD and I'd also read alot about medications. They are not as scary as you think when compared with low self esteem, rates of using drugs, alcohol, impulsive behaviors, etc in teen years. I'd just not draw the line at never using medication without really weighing all aspects. My dd is medicated and it improved her function in school 100%. This is also not at a traditional public school. This is a specialized private school for learning different children and alot of those are ADHD too.

Are you talking about a computerized test? That was only 1 of the tests my dd took to get an ADD diagnosis. There were also scales that I had to fill out about different behaviors and the psychiatrist also obeserved her over several occasions and we had information from her teachers and last, we had a interview with the psychiatrists about our past history and her birth. It was a very detailed process over several weeks.

I'd encourage you to go ahead and have her completely tested by a child psychiatrist who specializes in ADHD. It is extremely important to have it documented in early childhood. You might not even use the information anywhere, but it could be very important down the road to show that she had a diagnosis of ADD during early childhood. Our child psychiatrist said that the college entrance exams like the SAT and ACT are getting very strict about having to have a diagnosis of ADHD in early childhood in order to get extra time on tests and other accomodations.

You might also look at http://www.ldonline.org and read about ADHD there as well.

Val. is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Regardless of whether or not she is actually ADD, the test certainly was interesting and gave you a lot of good info about her strengths and weaknesses. I'm curious....where did you get the test that you could give it at home?? I'd like to give it to my son.

Val

Christine S Guest

Default I think you're already half way there to helping her.

You recognize the issues and you are recognizing what helps her. AWESOME!!

Now think of ways you can work that *boring* work into fun stuff for her. What else can you add to it? You're really on a roll now so just keep on going.

I do think it's a great idea to read up on ADD. The 2 books mentioned are great. WEll, from what I've read of them....being ADD myself I have trouble staying on task with those books! lol But I do a lot of reading up on smaller articles online. THe more you know about it, the better you can help her.

I would also read "the out of sync child" if you haven't already. It does sound like there may be some sensory stuff in there as well. If that's the case, you will need to address those issues also. It's tough to discern if she ripped a hole in a pillow because she's impulsive (ADD) or because she needed to feel the deep pressure of ripping something (SID). Or maybe it was both? lol...lotta that in our house!!

I am glad you also see the GREAT things about ADD. That young boy who helped you move...he was kept busy, he got LOTS of heavy work, and I bet it felt fabulous to him. THat's Tobin all over. He's insane this weekend because we've taken him shopping (HOURS and HOURS of it) for 2 days and had to keep him in a cart much of the time for everyone's safety. If we'd been able to let him run, he'd be fine but instead he was melting down.

Good luck with everything!

C

KaylieS Guest

Default It wasn't from home

The test was at our counseling practice that we own. It's one that our child psychologists give when testing for learning disorders or adhd/add. It's one of the more objective measures used when testing for it. (A full scale usually includes a WISC, the connors rating scales, BASC's, etc).

THat's why this is not a for sure thing andalso b/c she wasn't quite the right age (3 mos shy of being old enough).

At this point, I'm interested in helping her learn and maximize her potential...if the result had been borderline I would have been more apt to blow it off or discount it, but 73% likelihood is pretty darn high and hard to ignore.

The test was called the CPT.

Kaylie

KaylieS Guest

Default Thanks! I"ll look for it for sure! nt

Quote Originally Posted by mickey2
    i strongly encouarage you to read "driven to distraction" its a book on add/adhd viewed from childhood thru adulthood. its also on audio and is at most libraries. or can be bought thru amazon.

it will help explain more about add/adhd and answer some of the confusion/questions you have. hugs
    nt

KaylieS Guest

Default Thanks for the book an dinfo recs! (m)

I'll def look for the books, both of them!

I am not at all adverse to meds, but if I can help her to learn and be happy w/out them, that much the better!

See my reply to VAl on the test - it was not a formal testing, just a "give me an idea of what's going on" kind of thing.

I think if her behaviors start to interfere w/daily life or go beyond my teaching ability, then I will have her go thru the full testing and see what they all say.

Thanks!!!

Kaylie

KaylieS Guest

Default Thanks, I'll read it!

I've heard a lot about htat book also, I"ll read it, thanks!

THat's a good point re: the sensory stuff...it's really hard to say!

Kaylie

Christine S Guest

Default There's also the out of sync child has fun....

Our preschool has that one and uses it for activities for the kids at times. Might be a good one for you with homeschooling.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylie
    I've heard a lot about htat book also, I"ll read it, thanks!

THat's a good point re: the sensory stuff...it's really hard to say!

Kaylie