Thread: Summertime?!

Default Summertime?!

So I just got blindsided by a new fact of life... Miriam's EI case manager was talking about planning the transition at age 3 into school-system based services, and asked us to start giving some thought to what we wanted to do with the summer. Here we've been happily going along with year-round EI and assuming that the school support would be something similar, but apparently the services are for the school year only?! Makes sense I suppose, but still! And since Miriam has a late-May birthday, the school-system services won't pick up until next fall, so we'll hit our first summertime gap right away.

Is this universally true, that when your kid ages out of EI, the bottom drops out of your publicly-funded therapies during the summer? How do people deal with this? To fill the gap with private therapy (that our insurance won't cover) would of course be a massive expense, plus how could one even get private therapists for just 3 months, assuming there'd probably be a whole cohort of families out there attempting to do the same thing, and then in addition to that you'd have all the discontinuity of jumping to school-based therapists in the fall?

Whoof. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joanne
    & Miriam, 5/28/04, dx epilepsy but has not-yet-formally-diagnosed sensory issues too, getting EI 1hr/wk ST, OT, special educator.

anniemc2000 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Dd is a September bday

She just turned 3 in September, but the school system accepted her at 2 years 9 months because they wanted her to do their summer preschool program. She actually got both school and EI services all summer.

The summer program is only 3 mornings rather than 5, but it was wonderful because she was with the same teacher and therapists as she has now and it was a great entry/transition into the school system. It was 5 weeks, which worked out because the last few weeks we were on vacation.

Is there a representative from the school system who could help you see what programs might be available in the summer? Maybe the EI coordinator knows more? I would ask both school and EI what they know about summer services, especially if you have concerns that the gap will have a negative effect on the progress she's made. My dd's therapists all worked most of the summer, but I don't know if that is less common.

Best of luck!

Ann

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Our summer is about 2 1/2 months...

There were no speech therapists for us to hire. Small town. Our therapist gave us activities to do at home. There are ST games you can order and play. If I had known what was ahead of us, I'd have done both private and school ST and would have just continued with the private over the summer. Are you sure your insurance won't cover the ST? Do they not cover any ST or just certain types? Our insurance covered private, but it did have a yearly limit.

Amytoo Guest

Default Our district has...

"Extended School year" and "Extended, Extended School year". I call Extended, Extended double secret school year. If one doesn't demand E,E and show the need then it is not mentioned by the district.

The regular Extended is 4 weeks, 5 days a week. Speech and OT were the same amount as during the regular school year, but different people depending on their vacation schedule.

Hopefully your district has what you want and what your child needs... it varies so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    Are you sure your insurance won't cover the ST? Do they not cover any ST or just certain types?
    I think we're out of luck on this score... if they can write it off as "developmental delay" our HMO wants no part of it. We actually did try to go the private route, had an eval done by an in-network speech pathologist who pegged Miriam at over 50% delay, tried to argue that it was due to her epilepsy. And the HMO offered to cover TWO one-hour sessions with an in-network ST. Which is, well, barely enough to begin to even get acquainted.

It was a nice idea, though... thanks!

-- Joanne
    & Miriam, 5/27/04

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I hate insurance cos...

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieJo
    I think we're out of luck on this score... if they can write it off as "developmental delay" our HMO wants no part of it. We actually did try to go the private route, had an eval done by an in-network speech pathologist who pegged Miriam at over 50% delay, tried to argue that it was due to her epilepsy. And the HMO offered to cover TWO one-hour sessions with an in-network ST. Which is, well, barely enough to begin to even get acquainted.

It was a nice idea, though... thanks!

-- Joanne
    & Miriam, 5/27/04

boo hisss! j/k That just doesn't seem fair. My dd dx was coded as phonological disorder and it was covered by our insurance.

mk Guest

Default Double secret school year... love it..

it's funny & sad...why can't they just make it available to everyone who needs it?

To the original questions, Check out the wrightslaw website on extended school year. If you can show regression is likely occur, you can get services over the summer. We had the school pay for EI to continue over the summer.