Thread: Do you have a swing at home?

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Do you have a swing at home?

Why types do you have? We want to put one in our basement. A basic back and forth swing doesn't do it for him. The OT had one that hung from a single point on the ceiling and was like a bag of sorts. It could be used bunched up and wrapped around his arms to hold him up.. Or you could open it and he could sit, or lay in it.

We saw one in the intergrations catalog that was similar but it was $300. Any suggestions?

thanks,
    karen

Default We have a swing from Southpaw...it was

It's just like you describe. Alex loves it and swings on it alot! Check out the Southpaw website, tons of cool stuff.
    Welcome to the board!

Kathie and Alex

no actual swing here.. but we do have a hammock chair that has done wonders for my DS (3 y/o autism). He will sit in there and sway, pull it up over his head (to make a "bag") and just unwind.

not sure if this would help, but I started out looking for a swing, but this ended up working out better for us. It can hold up to 300 pounds and an adult can stretch out (basically lay down) in it. You can gently swing.. but more just for free motion and relaxation. We got it for $129 at amazon.com (free shipping)

-Joy

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie
    It's just like you describe. Alex loves it and swings on it alot! Check out the Southpaw website, tons of cool stuff.
    Welcome to the board!

Kathie and Alex

That is the exact one they had at the OT center. Just emailed it to dh. How do you have it mounted? In a door or hanging from the ceiling?

karen

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default we have several thearpy swings

the best buy one as i call it was the "rainy day indoor kit" from playawaytoys.com its the same as the one from southpaw, only direct from the inventors and cheaper!!!

as for the style of swing that you mention. we have the ikea ekktorp (or something similiar) swing with air cell which he likes at times. it doesnt go as fast as he would like and is hard to "push" himself in it.

we also purchased 2 hammocks from this ebayer (http://cgi.ebay.com/YELLOW-HAMMOCK-s...QQcmdZViewItem)

we use the rainy day bar and spread the "ends" of the hammock shoulder width apart and let him swing. we have 2 (one in basement and 1 on main floor). they are super sturdy. and provide the tight squeeze my kiddos crave. hope that helps

Default the hammock look great

that could be perfect. ? about the doorway bar. does he swing just back and forth? jacob wants to swing in circles and would be crashing into the doorway all the time. I have a giant doorway openning that could be used but the bar looks like its for standard doorways.

i really like the hammock - and you can't beat that price. no issues with it?

karen

redd89 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I like this hammock as well. Danielle likes a tight sqeeze too. How did you mount it in your house?
    Janie

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc
    that could be perfect. ? about the doorway bar. does he swing just back and forth? jacob wants to swing in circles and would be crashing into the doorway all the time. I have a giant doorway openning that could be used but the bar looks like its for standard doorways.

i really like the hammock - and you can't beat that price. no issues with it?

karen
    we love them!!! they have not torn at all. one is almost 3yrs old. we have used it on hikes etc. it travels well too, packs up super small. we pack the rainy day bar when we travel, btw. we liked it so much we bought a 2nd hammock from them last summer. now that we have 3 stories, im thinking of a 3rd. honestly, so far of all the swings we have purchased, the hammock gets used the most!!

in our old house, we had one mounted on a 360degree tire swing holder in his room and a 2nd mount in the living room.

and the rainy day bar in the hallway, with the extender bar.

in our current home, we have one mounted in a standard doorway with the raindy day bar. another cheaper option to the bar is to buy a "pull up or chin up bar" from a sporting goods store.

the 2nd swing is currently hanging from rafters in the basement with lots of open swing area.

we are slowly getting our basement finished and plan to have a permanent swing bar from southpaw for the various ones we have. we also swap out the swing set swings often outside. hope this helps

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default We don't have one inside

Just the regular outside swings which they really like. I also bought a chin up bar and installed in one of the doorways low enough for them to be able to reach and they really love hanging around on that. We also have a mini trampoline. I think a swing inside would help us at bedtime but I have not gotten one yet.

I love the picture of that hammock swing. That looks awesome!
    Susan