Thread: I will have to appeal to EI, there are just no STs...m

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I will have to appeal to EI, there are just no STs...m

If my almost 25 month old is NOT talking by next month, I will have to go private ST route, even though we cannot afford it.
    EI did add special instructor and she is coming 1x a week for 60 minutes to play with 2 year old.

I have had computer issues, but hope to post some replies soon

Thanks,
    Wendy

mk Guest

Default I haven't followed your struggles with ST,

but it seems crazy. After age 3, if the school didn't have STs, they'd have to pay for private. It doesn't work the same with the EI?

Default I'm confused....

Is it that there are no STs available, or that EI won't provide one? My DS was over 3 when we started our ST and OT, but it was my understanding from other moms that EI had to provide ST. So is it that there are no therapists available?

Sorry I can't be of more help. I know what a hard route it is to fight for the services our children deserve....

Good luck
    Diana

Quote Originally Posted by trek
    If my almost 25 month old is NOT talking by next month, I will have to go private ST route, even though we cannot afford it.
    EI did add special instructor and she is coming 1x a week for 60 minutes to play with 2 year old.

Thanks,
    Wendy
    HI Wendy! HOw are you? Why won't EI give your DS speech Therapy? I don't understand. I hope that he is on a list to get it soon. My friend started in private for her son and then switched to EI once a space became available. HUgs. Lisa

Default sorry to read that you still don't have a satisfactory

next step from EI, although the special instructor may be of some help, depending on her skills/background. It's my impression that the early steps needed with any ST, including ST for apraxia, focus on getting a good interaction going with the child, helping them see that verbal interaction can be fun, encouraging some imitative play back-and-forth with sounds, and educating the parents on things to try during the many hours the therapist is NOT there -- so you can at least hope that the instructor can make some progress with Holt (and you) in these ways.

It sounds like your local EI program does not feel obligated to pay for the services of a private ST, even though they cannot provide you with the needed services themselves? Unfortunately, I am not well informed on the rules or mandates for EI services, or on what the appeals process might be -- hopefully, others here may be able to give better advice.

(((hugs))) Kathrin & Ian (24 months, still too young to diagnose, but possible verbal apraxia here also)

Quote Originally Posted by trek

Thanks,
    Wendy

Val. is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I don't understand. If he needs it, don't they have to provide it, privately if they don't have someone to do it??

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

thanks for the support. what I understand, is that I have to appeal formally that due process is NOt taking place. so basically, no the state does NOT have to pay for private ST even though they have no STs(shortage in the entire state of Georgia). But, if I make a fuss formally, they will do soemthing. I need to call LisaMarie, I have her number just have not gottena round to it. I think she can help a little

It bites. Holt is 25 months, still only a few words used daily, though he is saying some animal sounds now.

thanks