Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New IQ test results. NOW WHAT!

Val. is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Thanks for the links and input and thoughts. I remember when I was pregnant with Tanner and I was working with a child VERY similar to Tanner (though he had Tourette's) in my gifted resource class. I adored this child, but he was a lot of work. He was in fifth grade and I had worked with him closely from first grade on. At the end of the year, his mother sent me a bouquet of flowers and the SWEETEST note about how he wouldn't have made it through elementary school without having me for his advocate. At the time I thought it was sweet but had no idea the impact that I had made. I really just felt like I was doing my job. I also remember that people used to joke that working with all those gifted children all day, my son was probably absorbing all the information and would come out doing algebra. I always laughed and said that some of those children I worked with (like the one mentioned above) have a TOUGH road and that I prayed my son would be totally normal and average. It's so much easier. I guess I must have cursed myself. LOL

Tanner's just so complex and I think that his abilities mask a lot of his difficulties and also make it more difficult for teachers especially to recognize that he's not doing the things he does intentionally. Last year, his K teacher's mantra was "Tanner is smart enough to know better." I felt in a tailspin again when I got the results only because it was more to digest and sort out. Like, I said above, "now what?" But, after sitting on it a couple days, I'm ready to "take on the world" again. I'm going to start by making some calls right to the top to find out the rights of gifted LD students and how they are identified and served in my county. And then I think I'm going to look for either an LD identification in writing or an OHI identification due to ADHD. And try to get an IEP again. And of course, I'm going to be on the phone with the gifted ed department just to touch bases with my old colleagues before I submit the "nomination" for gifted ed in January. (they only take the nominations twice per year). And, I'm also going to look around at school options because my DH and I just feel sick that Tanner will be in this school for the next four years, and even if he does get these identifications, we don't feel any more confident that he will have his needs met than we do right now. I have lost my faith in them....

Keep you posted and thank you for the support!
    Val

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Wow! Just checking in after t-day to find your

Quote Originally Posted by Val.
    Thanks for the links and input and thoughts. I remember when I was pregnant with Tanner and I was working with a child VERY similar to Tanner (though he had Tourette's) in my gifted resource class. I adored this child, but he was a lot of work. He was in fifth grade and I had worked with him closely from first grade on. At the end of the year, his mother sent me a bouquet of flowers and the SWEETEST note about how he wouldn't have made it through elementary school without having me for his advocate. At the time I thought it was sweet but had no idea the impact that I had made. I really just felt like I was doing my job. I also remember that people used to joke that working with all those gifted children all day, my son was probably absorbing all the information and would come out doing algebra. I always laughed and said that some of those children I worked with (like the one mentioned above) have a TOUGH road and that I prayed my son would be totally normal and average. It's so much easier. I guess I must have cursed myself. LOL

Tanner's just so complex and I think that his abilities mask a lot of his difficulties and also make it more difficult for teachers especially to recognize that he's not doing the things he does intentionally. Last year, his K teacher's mantra was "Tanner is smart enough to know better." I felt in a tailspin again when I got the results only because it was more to digest and sort out. Like, I said above, "now what?" But, after sitting on it a couple days, I'm ready to "take on the world" again. I'm going to start by making some calls right to the top to find out the rights of gifted LD students and how they are identified and served in my county. And then I think I'm going to look for either an LD identification in writing or an OHI identification due to ADHD. And try to get an IEP again. And of course, I'm going to be on the phone with the gifted ed department just to touch bases with my old colleagues before I submit the "nomination" for gifted ed in January. (they only take the nominations twice per year). And, I'm also going to look around at school options because my DH and I just feel sick that Tanner will be in this school for the next four years, and even if he does get these identifications, we don't feel any more confident that he will have his needs met than we do right now. I have lost my faith in them....

Keep you posted and thank you for the support!
    Val

post. That is interesting about that IQ test. I wonder what my dd would score on it. She took the WISC and the evaluators told us that her IQ was probably alot higher but it wasn't showing because of her LD. Do you know the age range for the other IQ test? I've not followed up because knowing would not change how we are educating her. It would be interesting to find out though!

I would encourage you to look around at other schools. They often have payment plans for tuition. I know it isn't ideal to have to finance. There is a huge difference in the feel of public vs. private schools. I'd have to say I prefer private even for my younger dd who is in a really really great public school. I hope you don't run into the same road blocks I've heard other parents complain about....like they are working on or above grade level despite have a huge gap between ability and performance. GL!!!

Suzi,
    Ha. I'm SURE I'll get the "he's working on and above grade level" despite the gap, but what I'm hoping is that with the additional diagnosis ADHD that I'll be able to use that gap as more documentation maybe to get an OHI label?? Who knows.

As far as the test, I think you can use it at 3 and up. But, I believe IQ testing is most stable after age 6 or so. I don't know if it would make a difference for a child who is just LD or not. It's not supposed to, as it's supposed to correlate very well to the WISC. It does tend to make a difference for children who had Processing Speed deficits on the WISC, like Tanner did, or for kids with motor disabilities, like Tanner's. Because those two things can impact their ability to work to their ability level even on an ability test like the WISC. It's true, though, that kids with LDs often have lower than they could IQ scores because of that. Couldn't hurt to ask about this one, if you happen to need more intelligence scores for something.

peanutgallery is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default ooh, good for you guys! I told ya!

didn't I? Didn't I call it when he was about one?

I have many resources... I think I've sent you a bunch. Email me if you want help/support.

:-D

Yes, you did.

And yes, I've bookmarked all the resources you've sent over the years. I only wish that homeschooling or private school was an option for us. Thanks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2