Thread: followup ?s about brushing

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default followup ?s about brushing

As I said before Jacob loves the brushing. But I'm not sure if I'm seeing the calming effect. I don't know if its because he then immediately interacts with Faith and Reuben or if its not helping. Its one of the few things that he will come willingly to do without any fighting. Is it possibly too soon to see the true effects? He does listen better immediately following the brushing so I guess thats something but he definetly isn't calmer.

thanks,
    karen

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Well, I'm no expert but I guess that it does affect every child differently. I think that he listens better right after is a great sign and that he loves it so much is a great sign too. Even though I said that for Sierra and Savanna that I noticed a big difference right away, it did not solve all our problems, not by a long shot and we brushed for 9 months I think and needed it the whole time. I still try to get brushing in some.

You might try to make a list of all the little things that you see improve, or even better, make a list of all the things that are bad right now. Then in 3 months you can go back and cross off the things that you see have improved. I wish I had done that more. It's so hard to remember things after it gets better.

I think the relationship with siblings makes things more complicated and probably can get him into another place quickly. Maybe you could try to give him a quiet fun thing to do right after brushing that would give him some heavy work too? Like playing with putty or a squishy toy to keep him a little occupied and away from his brother and sister? I have no idea, that is just something that popped into my mind.

Susan

Default the followup heavy work is an interesting idea

I'm going to try that. Also I'm going to make a list of issues and what is helping to keep track. I started a notebook.

This is going to be a tough few days. We are now at my inlaws until sunday. we got here yesterday after 10 hours of driving for a trip that should take 5 1/2 hours. It was pretty bad but considering being stuck in the car for so long iwth only 3 pee breaks it could have been a lot worse. Unfortunately my kids are the only ones I know that can go 10 hours in the car and not sleep once.

the best part is its 8:15 and Jacob is still sleeping. So thats very good. I did his brushing right before bed. Maybe it helped.

I wish Faith slept past 6:45 am but she was in a pack and play in inlaws bedroom instead of a bed like at home so I guess its not unusal. Reuben slept until 7:30 so thats on par for him.

karen

Default Hang in there!

Breaking up the routine is always hard! I'm sure you are already working on this but keep up with the brushing and get in the heavy work and physical activity while you are there. Sleep will help so much while you are there too. Did dh agree to melatonin? If not, maybe you could use some benadryl (if it makes him tired) to ensure he gets enough sleep if he is having trouble winding down.

HUGS!

Susan

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default keep it up, i bet it will help - someone ment. melatonin - did u try it?

All i can say is that 500mcg of melatonin is nothing short of a miracle in our house. There are no side effects that we can tell of either.
    Maybe you already know this, but if you have a "trader joes" store near you, they sell the chewable mint flavored low dose melatonin in the vitamin isle. I cannot even put it in words how this has helped my sanity, my 3 yr olds moods, and our lives. It has only been 3 days though, so i hope i am not getting ahead of myself!
    Good luck with the brushing, we are doing it too.

Default we discussed using melaton but decided not to

he has been sleeping better at night. i just have to get him to bed at the right time. there seems to be a window. if i miss it i'm screwed.

so they sell at TJ that low of a dose? thats so cool. good to know
    karen

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default we never got calmer from brushing but we

did get better focus after the brushing sessions. we started when ds was 19months old and still do on occassion still. he's even known to brush himself now. i never was able to figure out how to email the brushing video. i dont think any of the ones i tried went thru.

focus and cooperation are what i remember seeing as well as ot. the sessions when he wasnt brushed first, were always horrible. same with the listening program, we dont get calmer just more focus and cooperation after the sessions. but i do have the super energized tigger bunny on my hands. hugs

Default I have a supercharged energizer bunny here too

thank you for sharing. I think focus and cooperation are what I'm seeing too. But he is gets so wound up that he has been either fighting me during the session (even though I can tell he likes it) or not wanting to do it.

I haven't been able to get into a very good routine either because we started on Monday and everyday since has been messed up with illness and thanksgiving. We went to my inlaws, 9 hours in the car each way.

I unfortunately have to cancel his therapy for tomorrow too because my dd has croup.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc
    he has been either fighting me during the session (even though I can tell he likes it) or not wanting to do it.
    Karen, Savanna always loved brushing and wanted to do it, cooperated, etc. Sierra never wanted to do it. She liked it, benefited from it but because I wanted her to do it, she fought me every step of the way. Same with our listening therapy. It was not her decision so she wasn't on board. I guess it was her control issues. I was always having to come up with new ways to get her through it. It was not always fun but worth it.

Susan