Thread: A quick update and request for help dispensing eyedrops

Restless is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default A quick update and request for help dispensing eyedrops

to a very uncooperative 5 yr old.

DS went to the Pediatric Neurologist and Ped. Ophthomologist on Tuesday. He was dx'd w/ Transient Tic Disorder which is a very common problem -hopefully it will resolve itself. There is nothing we can do except ignore the tics, and hope they go away. I also had his eyes examined (the main complaint is eye blinking and eye widening) - the Eye Doctor advised that DS's eyelids are irritated, most likely from allergies, and he prescribed Patanol eye drops 2x a day. He stated that the blinking and weird eye widening might be from the irritation - we'll see in about 3 wks.

So, DS knows he needs these drops and he tries to be cooperative. Unfortunately he winds up scrunching up his eyes, tries to cover them with his hands, and screams his head off. It's very traumatic for both of us - does anyone have a better way to do this?

Thanks

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

heres what we do for me, dss and ds while dh laughs at me but it works. i have to tilt my head to the side (90% angle almost touching shoulder) and stare straight ahead at something, while i squeeze the drops in from the top corner of eye (the part you push up/pull down when making funny eye faces). then tilt head to other side and repeat.

for the boys, i have them lie down on sofa, bed or my lap and use the same basic technique. for all 3 of us, there is something super visually disturbing to watching things falling in our eyes...but the side tilt allows it to slowly flow into our field of vision. hope this helps...hugs

Suzi is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Here's the trick that has always worked for us...

have him lie down with your head in his lap. Have him close his eyes. Place a drop right in the corner of his eye close to his nose with his eyes closed, then have him open his eyes. The drops flow right in. GL!!!

Restless is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Thanks Ladies :)

I'm going to try this in a little while...I'll let you know how it goes!